Breast Augmentation & Fibrocystic Breasts?

I was wondering if I can have a fibroid removed at the same time I get saline impants under the muscle? I have been thoroughly checked and there is no concern of cancer. The issue is that it's close to the surface and approx. 2 centimeters. I am 5'2'' 110lbs and 30b bra size so I do not have much breast tissue as it is and I fear implants will exaggerate the feeling and maybe even push the fibroid closer to the surface. Thank you for your time and consideration, I greatly appreciate it!

Benign breast tumors and breast augmentation.

+1

It is reasonable to perform a breast augmentation at the same time as the removal of a benign breast lesion.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Benign breast tumors can be removed at the same time is breast augmentation.

+1

There is no problem doing biopsy of a benign lesion at the same time is breast augmentation. If there is a question about the nature of the lesion it probably should be done independently to rule out serious breast disease.

Fibroid and aug

+1

This could be done at the same time.I would recommend silkicone and not saline since they are softer and more natural.I just opened my Punta Gorda office on E Olympia.I always tell my patients the less breast tissue you have the more important silicone becomes.This would be awise choice to do them both.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

BREAST MASS

+1

Most likely the breast lump is a fibroadenoma.  It is a reasonable approach to remove the lump at the same time as the augmentation.  I personally have done this on several occasions.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and breast lesion

+1

While everything may point to a benign process, I would caution to do both at the same time. You never know for sure until the pathologist reviews the specimen.

Probably best to separate removal of benign breast mass from augmentation mamoplasty

+1

I usually recommend that a benign breast mass (fibroadenoma) be removed at a separate earlier operation and then do the augmentation mamoplasty. While it is often easy to identify a fibroadenoma, it is only truly a fibroadenoma once it has been identified by the pathology. There is also the problem of increased tension on the scar from the breast enlargement which will result in a worse scar. It is also possible that there may be a complication from the biopsy which may complicate the augmentation. So unless the benign tumor is in the path of the augmentation incision I would recommend separating the two operations. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

I would not remove a mass at the same time as a breast augmentation if it has not be biopsied first

+1

I would consider having your breast mass removed first either by your plastic surgeon or a general surgeon.  Until it is examined by the pathologist you do not know for certainty the nature of this breast mass.  You would not want to have a breast augmentation and find out the mass requires more treatment than expected. 

Removal of Benign Breast Mass during Augmentation

+1

It is very reasonable to remove a benign mass during breast augmentation. When it is close to the skin, it may, as you fear, become more palpable. The incision may have to be varied to approach it easily, but this should not be a problem. Additionally, depending on how large the mass is, whether the breasts are presently equal in size and the size of the implants being used, you may need different sized implants. Again, not a problem with proper planning.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Removing fibroadenomas during breast augmentation

+1

I typically remove these during breast augmentation when they can be easily approached in the trajectory of the incision used to place the implants.  I don't like to disturb any more of the breast tissue than necessary when placing breast implants, therefore, if the mass can't be accessed easily during breast augmentation, then it is better to remove that first, and come back later for the augmentation.  Additionally, depending upon the size of the mass and the relative size of the mass to the existing breast tissue, it may leave a contour defect even after placing implants.  This may require some fat grafting down the line to fully correct too.  I agree with having it removed however, as a 2 cm lesion will certainly be palpable after breast augmentation, and if it is close to the surface of the breast, it may be visible too.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Breast mass removal.

+1

It depends on where the mass is located.   Also you may want your breast surgeon to remove the mass first and return at  a later date for your augmentation.  Keep in mind that removal of your benign mass could create a deformity on your breast that may or may not get improved by your augmentation.  Please visit with a board certified PS to weigh your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS