Am I a Candidate for Surgery Now? (photo)

I had weight loss surgery over a year ago. I have lost close to 130 lbs. I am currently 220 lbs. I was told for my height ( 5'5) I should be 155 at the most. I am not trying to be that. My goal was to reach 180 lbs and stop, and have plastic surgery. But I don't want to wait that long anymore. The way my body is looking now is making it hard to deal with the weight loss. It's harder to hide the extra skin under my clothes. Could I have TT/BL/BA by late October? Arms later? Should I wait longer?

You have several body contouring options

+2

Thank you for the question and the excellent photos.   You are a candidate for several body contouring procedures including: lower body lift, bra line back lift, arm lift, breast lift and thigh lift.  I would first prioritize in your mind the areas that you would like to improve the most.  Once you have done so you can evaluate the impact of losing another 20-40 lbs as you have suggested as well the best sequence of procedures and the financial and time required to accomplish them.  I see enough skin and soft tissue laxity in your photos to think that you could proceed with a lower body lift and a bra line back lift procedure, either separate or combined, without much change occurring with modest additional weight loss.  Your breasts and arms may also do well at this weight stage.  If you tend to gain and lose weight in your arms and breasts I would defer these two procedures until you feel you have achieved your near goal weight status.

Dr Remus Repta

Timing for contouring

+1

Once you've reached your goal weight and your weight has been stable for 6 months, you can consider plastic surgery.  One of the most popular procedures after massive weight loss is a lower body lift.  If you are considering a lower body lift - this procedure (LBL) is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Best Candidate for Body Lift Surgery

+1

How Long Should I wait for a Body Lift? - that is the real question you are asking.

Some potential candidates for a Body Lift are patients who have experienced significant weight loss through procedures such as gastric banding or bypass surgery, stomach stapling, bariatric surgery, lap band surgery, or non surgical methods such as diet or exercise. It is crucial that these candidates maintain a stable weight for an extended period of time prior to surgery to minimize complications and to maximize results.

Waiting approximately 12 to 18 months after weight loss has stabilized is best, and when one does not expect further weight loss, as a result of the previous surgical procedure. During this stabilization period, the skin will shrink as much as possible in preparation for the body contouring procedures.

You should be in good health and maintain a nutritional diet during the year following weight loss surgery. Do not smoke during the 6 weeks prior to surgery and try not to recover the habit following surgery as smoking will increase risk of complications and slow the healing process. The order of the different body lifts varies from patient to patient and a discussion with your board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with massive weight loss body contouring surgery will develop a specific plan for you.

Finally, you should have reasonable expectations for the results of the body contouring procedures involve significant scarring.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

You are a candidate!

+1

You are a candidate for all of the procedures you have mentioned in your question.  However I would recommend that you stage the procedures.  The most dramatic change you will receive  is from a body lift.  This procedure will tighten and firm your abdomen, elevate your flanks and your buttocks.  There will also be some improvement on your inner thighs.  It appears that you have been stable for at least 6 months which makes you an appropriate candidate to consider your first stage of surgery.  Of course, you will need to get medical clearance because your safety should never be compromised.  See a board certified plastic surgeon and again, congratulations on the weight loss!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Am I a Candidate for Surgery Now?

+1

At your height, I would lose another 30 lbs just to minimize some of the possible complications associated with these surgeries.  A tummy tuck, breast lift, and breast augmentation can be performed by late October.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks, breast augmentations, breast lifts and body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Weight loss contouring

+1

As long as you have stabilized in your weight loss and you are not losing any more weight weekly, then you may be a candidate for body contouring procedure after weight loss.  Which procedures would depending on your goals and priorities.   One common first procedure is a circumferential body lift. Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).   Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

You are an excellent candidate for The Ultimate Breast Lift

+1
You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift.  This technique reshapes your breasts to increase upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  You will not require an implant since the internal cone increases anterior projection.  This technique also avoids the ugly vertical scars or boat anchor shaped incisions.  The weight of the breast if transferred to the underlying muscle providing long term stability, even if you do lose additional weight.  You would also benefit from Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement.  This is a new technique that helps patients lose weight and maintain the reduced weight.  Large mesh is placed through the abdominoplasty incision, which creates early satiety and increased caloric expenditure.  You will need a circumferencial body lift later after the tummy tuck is done. 
Best Wishes,
Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Massive weight loss...

+1

As long as you are at your weight that you are able to maintain with your new lifestyle, you could have procedures.  Weight fluctuations after body contouring procedures alter results, often in undesirable ways.  Getting to your 'ideal' weight is impractical and a goal that, in most people, is unreachable.

Curtis Wong, MD

Good Candidate for Surgery after Significant Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss!   Your frustration with your current situation is understandable, as is your desire to proceed with surgery as soon as possible.

However, you will be best off getting as close as possible to your long-term stable weight ( not necessarily “ideal” weight),  prior to proceeding with elective surgery. Doing so will improve the safety and the outcomes of the procedures performed. Also, as you know, additional surgery may be required if you drop significant amount of weight after the initial operations are performed.

It is not too early however to begin doing your due diligence in selection of plastic surgeon carefully.  Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly. Remember, when planning combination operations, to emphasize safety first,  as opposed to getting as much done as possible in one setting. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you do your research.

Keep up the good work!

Am I a Candidate for Surgery Now?

+1

Always best to obtain the "ideal" weight before surgery. But you might consider doing partial areas operations.Like liposuction and breast lift/reduction. Than lose more weight before hashing the tummy tuck.