Can You Tell Me if I'll Be Eligible for a Breast Augmentation Only? (photo)

I have my surgery booked for Aug 9 and I'm trying to prepare as best as possible but I have no idea if I need just the augmentation or lift as well. If I can, I would like to avoid getting a lift until after I'm done having kids. I'm 24, 5'7" and 170 lbs. I have lost a lot of volume in my breasts due to weight loss ( about 100 lbs) although I still have a nice amount of breast tissue. I would like to have more natural looking/hanging breasts. Do you think it's possible?

Augmentation only?

+1

You seem to have the cart a bit ahead of the horse if you have surgery booked, but do not yet know what is being done, and whether or not it should be!

As most of my colleagues have stated, breast lifting will give you the most perky, uplifted, and youthful-appearing breasts. A properly-performed breast lift will remove only 1 ounce of tissue per breast (skin), so your present size would still be present in a higher, tighter skin brassiere. With scars, and with about 15% chance of permanent nipple numbness. If you want perkier PLUS larger, then you would be best improved with lift plus implants.

I know, you don't want the scars, cost, and (slightly) increases risks of a full breast lift. That is why there will be plenty of plastic surgeons who will try to "sell" you on modified types of breast lifts that promise less scarring. Some will be vertical, and a few may be horizontal.

I believe that correcting your skin excess in only one dimension can be reliably expected to tighten the skin in ONLY ONE direction, and cannot give the most beautiful breast shape.

Which might be fine if you want to avoid the scar in the perpendicular direction, but may leave you with a less-than-ideal outcome in terms of breast shape. So, I would suggest that modified breast lifts can cost as much as a "full" breast lift (Wise or anchor pattern), but will have less scarring and perhaps some compromises in terms of shape, breast-feeding, and sensation.

If you really want a new and improved breast shape, then consider a full breast lift that shapes the breast in BOTH vertical and horizontal dimensions. Plus or minus implants depending on your size wishes. Do NOT let a surgeon take out (more) tissue and then tell you s/he needs to add volume back with implants if you like the size you are now (minus that ounce of skin per breast).

Since you want both "natural" and "hanging" I might be so bold as to suggest that augmentation alone may actually be a satisfactory first step, so long as you do understand that lifting will almost certainly be in your future, but perhaps AFTER childbirth and breastfeeding!

Only personal evaluation and examination can satisfactorily explore the options available to you, and properly weigh the pros and cons. I suggest consultation with several ABPS-certified plastic surgeons or their Canadian equivalents! For examples of patients with moderate-to-significant ptosis for whom I performed augmentation only, click on the web reference link below and check out patients 5, 6, 11, 24, 27, and 31. Each is different from you but each has some degree of ptosis satisfactorily dealt with via augmentation alone. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation would be a disaster

+1

Breast augmentation alone would be a disaster.  Your breasts are heavy and the additional weight of the implants would make them descend even more.  I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift.  This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.  This technique transfers the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle providing long term stability even with future pregnancies.  This technique reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizies anterior projection and avoids the need for implants.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation but waiting for breast lift.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

If you get implants only now and wait for a lift, the implants will likely drop into all the extra skin and be low and heavy.  For best results, a breast lift at the same time may be helpful.  

Yes, you can wait for all of it until after you are finished having children.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Can You Tell Me if I'll Be Eligible for a Breast Augmentation Only?

+1

If you are booked for Aug. 9th than what are you having done? Just an augmentation! Worth a try but you may need a lifting down the road. 

Breast Augmentation

+1

Based solely on your pictures, I think you would benefit the most from a lift.  Whether you have that lift now, or later, however, is up to you.  You could try just an augment now, but I think that will lead to a 'rock in a sock' appearance eventually.  I think you could get a very nice result with just a vertical mastopexy.  

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

As long as you're willing to accept the results of the augmentation alone

+1

you do not need a lift.  But when trying to achieve the best results possible in terms of appearances, a lift would help.  But if breast feeding is priority, avoid the lift until you're done with children.

Curtis Wong, MD

Can You Tell Me if I'll be Eligible for a Breast Augmentation Only

+1

Yes it would be possible but do remember you have undergone major weight loss with resulting significant sagging(ptosis) of your breasts . Since you want to avoid a breast lift at this time of your life, you might want to consider going with a larger breast implant to help further fill out and tighten your relative excess of skin and at least partially correct some of the sagging loose skin. Another option might be for you to select silicone gel breast implants( not saline due to increased wrinkling) above the muscle which will give you desired larger fuller breasts and thereby reduce the potential for "double bubble" breast deformities if you wnet under the muscle with implants but did not undergo a lift. Please do go over all of these options with your surgeon before proceeding and Good Luck!

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Breast lift

+1

From the front view with relaxed arms you do need a lift. Implants alone would lead to a "double bubble" or worse the "rock in a sock" look. Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Sagging breasts require a lift

+1

Thank you for your question and providing the photographs.  Judging from the photos it appears you need a lift.  This is best determined by an in-person examination.  It is reasonable to wait until you finished having children but you could also consider having the lift now, understanding it made need a revision in the future.  Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast Augmentation Only

+1

As long as you understand that a lift is needed , either now or later , it might be ok for you to get only the breast augmentation . But , big and saggy breast are usually an undesired aesthetic outcome , you might not feel happy with the results. 

Best wishes 

Katherine Feliz Camilo, MD