Dark Red Drainage 2 Weeks After ETT?

I had an extended tuck two weeks ago and did not require muscle repair. Two jp drains were put in and the right side has been perfect and has been removed. The left drain is still draining around 100cc per 24 hrs of dark red almost purple blood/fluid. My ps says it may be from a small vein that got nicked and leaked blood. Is this something that resolves on its own? I am worried about blood loss even though my PS tells me not to. My color is good and I feel fine but am still concerned.

Old hematoma

+2

Thank you for the question.  Your drain is most likely draining liquified hematoma which is old blood.  You can be fairly certain that you are not actively bleeding.  Hang in there as the drain is currently doing what it needs to do.

Dr Remus Repta 

Dark drainage

+2

Dark drainage is due to old blood being drained. The was due to bleeding early on that has now stopped. If you where bleeding now, the drainage would be bright red. The drains were placed just for this reason. As long as you do not have excessive swelling you should be fine. The drains will help remove remaining hematoma. You should continue close followups with your PS.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Dark Red Drainage

+2

If your surgeon's opinion is not reassuring enough, ask that a blood count be checked. 

By the way, it takes very little blood mixed in with serum that drains to make it look dark. This   should resolve on its own without requiring intervention.

Thanks for the question, best wishes.