Belly Button Dark Color, allergic from Bio Oil? cocoa Butter? (photo)

Hello doctors,,I have my tummy tuck 20 days ago,I feel good,but I have dark and red color around my belly button.Are this normal?

Allergy in the belly button

+2

It s clear from the square mark around the belly button that you have an allergic reaction to the tape and possibly the ointment you are using. Moisture is the culprit you may want to discuss this with your surgeon and avoid the sources of your allergy

Belly button rash after tummy tuck.

+2

It looks like you have a rash, and from the square shape of the nearby lesions I am guessing it is from skin adhesive and steri-tapes.  See your surgeon.  I would recommend benadryl cream.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Dark scar

+2

It also looks as it you have a rash nearby, so your skin seems quite sensitive. 

The scar is usually at its reddest and thickest at about 6 weeks after surgery and then almost always improves over the course of a year. 

This scar does not look alarming, but do keep in touch and follow up with your surgeon so that if anything looks not right with the scar you can be advised about scar creams and other remedies.

Thanks for the question, and best wishes. 

Geometric irritation is generally due to adhesive tapes and ointments.

+1

From the photo posted, the irritation appear almost rectangular in appearance. This is usually either an allergic reaction to the adhesive in the tape or a fungal overgrowth in the presence of too much moisture. Many patients attempt to prevent bad scars by oiling up the incisions and placing an occlusion dressing. Not only does this do little to improve the scar, but it leads to maceration of the wound and often fungal overgrowth. The treatment involves removing the offending agents - ie. stop lathering the incisions in oil. Keep things dry, avoid adhesives, and give yourself time to heal. Scar massage and scar ointments can wait. 

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Red belly button

+1

I would stop the tape and or ointment you may be usuing on your belly button.If a patient applies antibacterial ointment too much they can get a contact dermatitis and the tape is also causing soem irritation as well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Moisture versus allergic reaction

+1

Thank you for the photos.  If you suspect that what you are applying is irritating your skin around your belly button you should try something else.  Consider stopping all ointments and see if improvement occurs.  Scar guard or silicone tape may be a better option once improvement is seen. 

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Belly Button Dark Color, allergic from Bio Oil? cocoa Butter?

+1

Thanks for the posted photo. But over the internet very hard to diagnose. Brest to see your surgeon ASAP. Rule out necrosis of the area of the umbilicus.