What Harm Could Be Done by Lifting a Child a Week After Breast Augmentation/mastopexy?

I had a breast augmentation (saline)/mastopexy (lollipop) done 1 week ago (no drains). I have a 1.5 yr old and a 3 yr old. Both about 30 lbs. I have had help with them and haven't had to lift them but while my husband was at the store my 1.5 year old woke up so I had to get her out of her crib. I had her stand and I bent to her level so I didn't bend over and use my chest muscles to pick her up. How would I know if I did damage and how soon would I know it??

Lifting post aug

+1

I tell my patients lift with your legs not you arms.You should be fine just be careful.You would know if you did soemthing wrong ie more swelling

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Lifting a child after breast augmentation

+1

Unless you notice a change in the appearance or feeling of your breasts, you likely have done no harm to them.  I recommend doing your best to bend at the waist and knees and do as much of the lifting of your children as you can with your legs to minimize any pectoralis muscle contraction.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Lifitng a baby after surgery

+1

While I recommend to my patients after breast surgery not to lift heavy objects. I do say that if you have to it is always better to have the child climb onto you without you having to actually lift.

Lifting after breast augmentation/mastopexy

+1

Thank you for your question.  This is a great question as many of my patients have young children and find if difficult to not lift them after surgery.  In general, we do not want  you to do anything that will stress or put strain on sutures.  Also, exerting yourself can raise your blood pressure and, in theory, can put you at slightly higher risk for a post operative bleed or hematoma.  The further out you are, the less likely, but still a risk.  Lastly, kids can be unpredictable and head-butting or pulling can occur before you are prepared to react.  In all likelihood you are are probably fine if you did not notice anything unusual or new.  Be sure to check with your plastic surgeon if you have any questions.  He or she can help put your mind at ease.  

Good luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Moderation of activities after a breast lift / augmentation

+1

Lifting of your child will most likely have not long term effects on your breasts.  Just be careful and avoid activities that make the breasts bounce up and down.  Moderation of activities is the key after breast surgery.  

+1

It is quite unlikely that you did any damage without feeling marked discomfort or noting a change in appearance, neither of which would be likely with the activity you have described. 

All the best. 

+1

Hello

I would not think that lifting a child will cause any problms witht he implants and should all be OK.  If there was going to be any problmes this early post operatively then you may be experiencing some paina nd discomfort inthe breast.

All the best

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Little chance of breast damage lifting a child after augmentation.

+1

There are certain restrictions on activity after breast augmentation with or without mastopexy. I doubt seriously whether lifting your child would do any harm to the operation. I would be fearful that the child might be dropped because of pain caused by that particular activity.

+1

Dear Mandylee,

Thank you for your question.  In general, we do not want heavy liftying after breast surgery for fear of pulling on sutures holding the implant, or causing a hematoma by getting your blood pressure elevated.  I you had a hematoma form this you would probably experience pain/pressure on one side and have that side swell up dramatically.  If there was a problem with a suture holding the implant, then you may notice displacement of the implant.  If you havent noticed anything, then there is probably no damage, but I would keep from lifting anymore and visit your plastic surgeon to be assessed.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon