Forehead and Eyelid Surgery Done. Eyes Hurt and Complete Numbness of Forehead?

It has been one year and my eyes hurt, ar numb get tired and get red. I use prescribed drops and over the counter drops. It does not help.Numbness around them and forehead numb and feels like it is pulling. I can't take this anymore Is there anythning that can be done or do I have to live like this forever Will an ultrasound show the problem? I have gone to othr Dr's and they dn't do anything now. It is a year. Shouldn't I be getting better not worse?

Forehead and eyelid surgery done. Eyes hurt and complete numbness of forehead?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Numbness after any surgical procedure is expected for several weeks to months following. As the nerves to the area are traumatized and will then experience a temporary neuropraxia, a transient loss of nerve conduction. This usually resolves over the next 6-12 weeks, but depending on the procedure performed, sometimes much longer. Typically this should resolve by 1 year. As it goes past this date, the likelihood of the sensation returning is small. However, it can take up to 2 years. If no return from there, it is unlikely to return. It should be discussed that persistent sensory changes may develop following any surgical procedure.

The usual signs of the nerves regenerating and neuropraxia resolving is itching, followed by a burning sensation and then occasional sharp, shock-like pains. These will be normal to experience, and actually a promising sign. Usually, normal sensation returns, but is is also possible to have decreased sensation or even increased sensation to the areas affected. Re-educating nerves postoperatively is often helpful and will allow proper instruction for the affected sensory nerves - methods include using different textures to the affected areas when showering, bathing, applying lotion, etc. If bothersome, there are some medications that may be helpful, including Neurontin for pain for hypersensitivity. You can try various textures such as washcloths, loofahs, cotton sheets, etc. Massaging the areas is also beneficial for the incision to make the finest scar possible. The last place to regain the sensation will be directly adjacent to the incision/scar as the nerves will make its way from the periphery to this location. If continual pain arises, evaluation is warranted. After ruling out other causes, one rare explanation may be that a neuroma has developed and may require surgical excision. This is very unlikely unless a large sensory nerve has been transected inadvertently during the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Numbness

+1

Obtain a second opinion with two other Cosmetic Surgeons who will explain what is going on regarding your numbness and discomfort, etc.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon