Foreign Material is Good for Rhinoplasty? Worried About Implant

I am 21yrs .. I have saddle shape nose . And i am planning for my rhynoplasty.. I do not want my ribs to get operated for taking the cartilage for uplifting my nose , so my doctor has suggested me for medpore ..I am planning to get it done with medpore only .. Is it fine ? Are there any complications in this??

Material for rhinoplasty

+1

A medipore implant is a very poor choice for nasal augmentation due to the high occurrence of infection.  The best material is always going to be the patient’s own nasal cartilage or ear cartilage.  If their nose and ears have been cartilage depleted, then augmentation with a silastic implant should be considered.

+1

You will get varied opinions on what material Rhinoplasty Surgeons prefer for dorsal implants.  I prefer straight silastic dorsal implants over rib cartilage/bone, medpore or Goretex.  IMHO the latter have a tendency to get infected.  In my 20 plus years performing Rhinoplasty, I have found septal cartilage rarely long enough to build up the entire dorsum. 

Rhinoplasty

+1

Every implant material has pros and cons. Your own cartilage leaves you with a donor site and it can warp once place in its new home. That warping can occur even decades later. Silicone has memory and is not incorporated so it can pop out, shift or get infected. Medpore gets incorporated in most cases so it will not shift or get infected but it is harder to remove if you do not like it and if it is not preheated to mold exactly to the bone contour it can rock in position.

I have used all of the above and patients make their decision based on which pros and cons they can live with. I personally like medpore for the bridge but it can be problematic in other areas of the nose or if it is not preheated and shaped.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Medpor for Saddle Nose

+1

Some surgeons use synthetic material to augment a saddle nose, but i prefer to use the patient's own cartilage from the septum, the ears, or the ribs. Synthetics are easier to use, but there is increased risk of movement or infection after surgery.     

Medpor implant

+1

Medpor is FDA approved and many surgeons report good results with it. Regardless of whether you use synthetics or never use them, the fact is that they have a higher risk of infection and need for removal then your own cartilage. You are only 21 and you will carry this risk throughout your life. If you have not had any previous surgery it's likely that you would have enough cartilage in your nasal septum to use for grafts unless you have had a severe and gross traumatic deformity.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Saddle Shaped Nose

+1

Generally, I prefer to use your own cartilage (from septum, ear, or rib) to avoid the complications I have seen in patients who have had synthetic materials used.  Please make sure you consult with a board certified specialist in rhinoplasty before you proceed . 

Kimberly Lee, MD

Rhinoplasty and foreign implants vs. cartilage.

+1

Rhinoplasty and foreign implants vs. cartilage. In 35 years of rhinoplasty using cartilage from the septum or ear, I have never had an infection. There is greater risk of infection with foreign material and therefore, I don't use it but other surgeons do.