Forehead Reduction Options Without Hair Transplant?

You would see I clearly have a high forehead, emphasized by my gaunt, oblong face. What can be done to reduce the length (excluding hair transplants)? growing up and to this day, I have always been made fun of or criticized for it, and I do admit it does throw off my face a bit. I feel self conscious and not very feminine because of it :(

Forehead Reduction

+1

We developed the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Incision technique for patients like you. The hairline is moved down after removal of excess forehead skin. Hair grows through and in front of the incision after surgery so patients haver total freedom of hair styling. The hair immediately behind the hairline has normal uniform density.

Vertical Forehead Reduction by Scalp Advancement

+1

A scalp advancement can shorten a long forehead. How much the forehead can be shortened depends on how loose your scalp is but most women can be shortened 1.0 to 1.5 cms in vertical height. While the procedure can be done there is the trade-off of a fine line scar along the hairline.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Forehead Reduction for High Forehead

+1

A forehead reduction to decrease a long or high forehead is an option.  The incision typically lies just below the hairline.  Dependng on how you style your hair and how dense the hair is, you may or may not need hair transplants following the procedure.  Check with a local board certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Tall forehead improvement

+1

If hair styling options do not satisfy you, a surgical hairline lowering gives great results if you have certain appropriate findings. I perform this operation quite frequently and can think of few procedures that give a near instantaneous result and such uniform patient satisfaction. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I do agree with Dr. Mayl but I would add that forehead reduction does not typically require hair transplants. The hairline can be brought down surgically without the need for a hair transplantation procedure. This can provide a lower and natural hairline with a single stage procedure. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is truely amazing what a good hair style can do for your problem.

+1

Often I will see patients who do not need surgery of the forehead, but rather a talk with a creative hair stylist.  Bringing the hair down over portions of the forehead and altering the sideburn position can often be a great non-surgical answer.

Not everything needs plastic surgery.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon