Forehead Reduction with Revision Rhinoplasty?

I have a odd problem with my face. My whole upper 3rd (nose + forehead) has been quite deformed looking since birth, the problems being I was born with a very wide and flattish nose (unnatural for my caucasian race) and a very prominent and overbearing forehead which looks very odd.

I've been through two Rhinoplasty procedures, and I do need a 3rd to correct many persistant issues, but over time I've realized my forehead just does not look natural either. I do have a very low bridge, so onlay grafts may help this, but could a forehead-reduction be done as well?

Forehead reduction with revision rhinoplasty

+1

A forehead reduction can safely be performed simultaneously with rhinoplasty.  A similar scenario exists for males seeking feminization,  It is fairly common and very safe under the right hands.  

Revision Rhinoplasty and Forehead Reduction

+1

This may be indicated. It is possible, through some type of browlift incision, to file down the overly prominent frontal bone (forehead), helping to restore a more balanced appearance to the face. However, there is a limit to the amount of forehead reduction that can be achieved, and I would make sure that with this 3rd rhinoplasty procedure, that you find a surgeon who has the best chance of making this your last revision rhinoplasty.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty performed with other surgeries

+1

It is possible to perform a revision rhinoplasty at the same time as other cosmetic surgeries. Be sure that you're working with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in rhinoplasty, facial contouring, brow lift, and skull contouring techniques. They will need to assess you and determine what combination of results can help you create a balanced appearance.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Forehead reduction and Rhinoplasty

+1

It is appropriate to do both procedures at the same time. I'm sorry you will need to do a third surgery to correct your nose. Without a picture of your forehead, I assume you are talking about a reduction in the vertical height of the forehead. Years ago we developed and described a technique to lower the hairline with an incision at the hairline and removal of excess forehead skin with or without eyebrow elevation. Sometimes scalp expansion is necessary if there is not enough tissue laxity. If you send photographs or or e-mail pictures I will be more specific with my recommendations.

Forehead reduction

+1

As far as the nose and onlay graft, the RIB graft is superior to any other material.

As for the forehead reduction, If I understand you right, you mean a prominent "BOSSY" forehead.

If that is the case shaving some of the bone can be done. You will need a good Ps because you will need an X-Ray before may be a CT scan to see the thickness of the bone.

Skull bone is made of two layers one can shave some of the outer layer BUT must be carefull because the frontal sinuses are ther and you do not want to go through the sinuses.

If you mean lowerin the hair line, that can be done. The incision for that is in front of the hair in a zigzag manner to lessen its visibility, and advance the hair bearing scalp foreward. One need to stabilize the avanced skin with scews or other devices so that it does not pull back.

Forehead reduction and revision Rhinoplasty

+1

In recent years, I have performed many hairline lowering/forehead reduction procedures. It works best on women with flexible foreheads. The eyebrow position does not necessarily have to be changed. If the brows are lifted with a forehead reduction and some sort of rhinoplasty is being done at the same time, the rhinoplasty (especially a tertiary one) might not heal in the desired position.

What is really needed with this question, are photographs of your face. We do not even know if you are a male or female.

If you are a male with any chance of having male pattern baldness, I would recommend hair transplants to shorten the forehead.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead reduction

+1

I am a little confused about your use of the term"forehead reduction" This has been used in two different conditions.

1. One is the vertical shortening of the forehead skin to eliminate a high hairline and long forehead. This is essentially removal of redundant skin.
  2. The other is the reduction of a prominent brow (bony ridge above the eyes and also called frontal bossing). This is a suibstantially more complex procedure.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi C,

It is very difficult to evaluate your condition without seeing a picture of you. However it sounds like you may need a larger nasal implant.

Post a pic to better evaluate your condition.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS