High Wide Forehead Reduction Possible?

I have a high and wide forehead. Is a forehead reduction possible, where the skin at the corners will be pulled in to bring the hair line down? If so, what is the estimated cost and recovery period of this procedure? Thanks.

Forehead Reduction?

+4

Reduction of the forehead is possible by performing a hairline incision forehead lift procedure. This type of forehead lift removes non-hair bearing scalp and “lowers” the hairline. It is a useful operation for patients who have “long foreheads” and wish to undergo forehead lifting for any reason.

The Hairline Forehead Lift Makes You Feel You Have Much More Hair.

+2

The hairline forehead procedure removes skin and raises brows and makes you feel like you have more hair.  A high hairline is masculine and notTpleaseing to  women .   A beautifully done hairline leaves a scar that defies detection and a beautiful result.   this is one of the great operations.  You will greatly enjoy this procedure.  Be sure and get 3 opinions from ABPS certified docs and good luck.  You should be very happy with this one.   Happy Valentines Day.   Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Forehead Reduction

+2

In a forehead reduction a scar is placed at the hairline and the excess skin and forehead distance is removed. This results in a brow lift at the same time. From El Paso.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Hairline Advancement for Forehead Reduction

+2
These are exactly the procedures in which I specialize- the surgical hairline advancement. You can see a large number of before and after examples of them on my website photo galleries, and welcome you to contact my office directly to learn more.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not enough information to do forehead reduction .

+2

Depending on your age and the amount of wrinkles on your forehead the scar could be placed in the middle of the forehead and the brows lifted and the forehead advanced ,together this change of the brow and hairline position would reduce the forehead size and have a better appearance. The middle age to over 60 male forehead scar in the wrinkle lines of the forehead is usually not visible.

The incision could be at the hairline but at that point you may as well do a hair transplant and reduce the forehead size that way.

Get a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Browlifts are Great For Reducing The Large Forehead

+2

I perform about 80% of my browlifts using what is called a trichophytic incision.  This incision is done along the first row of hairs at the top of the forehead, pulling the brows up and the hairline down.  Because of a special beveling technique I use with the incision, the scar ends up with hair growing right through it.  As a result, the scar darn near becomes invisible once healing is done and you not only have higher eyebrows, but a lower hairline and shorter forehead.

The other two common ways of doing a brow lift are endoscopic and coronal.  Endoscopic has the appeal of requiring only a few small incisions behind the hairline, but that is at the expense of a higher hairline.  Keep in mind, when you lift the eyebrows from behind the hairline, the hairline goes up 2 or 3 times as much as the eyebrows.  For example, lift your eyebrows 1/8 of an inch, the hairline goes up as much as 3/8's.  Since most people already have a hairline that is bordering on the upper edge of desirable, rarely do patients pick this route.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead reduction

+2

I do over 50 of these operations per year strictly to reduce a high (or tall) forehead or to lower a high hairline. It is the same operation, just phrased differently, to address the patent's perception. It is not completely simple ,as is suggested by some , for there are numerous subtle details. Candidates have to have a flexible scalp and there are  certain limitations as to how much reduction is possible in a one stage operation. Also, some patients  might need hair transplants if there are really deep recessions of the corners of the hairline  or a  desire to advance the leading temporal hairs which are fine and acutely angled. Cowlick formation requires special consideration and preoperative discussion. A complete dissection of the undersurface of the scalp is necessary in myopinion for this operation to work and results to  be sustained. The complication rate has been  minmal.

With a 2 stage operation, the first involving the insertion of a balloon tissue expander, we can lower the hairline to almost any level. It takes 4-10 weeks for the expansion process to be completed.

This is not an operation for those who are losing hair such as men and women with hereditary pattern baldness. It works best on women who have always had a high hairline and have good scalp laxity. For those desiring elevation of the brows, it is possible to achieve brow elevation with the same incision. Scars are usually no problem in the long term healing process. If the scar is detectable, such as with cowlick formation, a small hair transplant session is recommended. Most of my patients have not needed or wanted this minor addition.

Follicular unit hair transplants are an alternative method for correcting this condition. In my opinion and from experience, this is more costly , takes over a year to grow out, is no less traumatic and cannot give the density of hair one gets with the hairline lowering/forehead reduction procedure.

The one stage procedure has a global cost in my practice of $7300.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead reduction is possible using a pretrichial (hairline) incision.

+2

Forehead reduction is possible using a pretrichial (hairline) incision. It is essentially a 'reverse forehead lift'. This procedure can lower one's hairline and elevate the brow position simultaneously. Healing time is approximately one week. Costs will vary from surgeon to surgeon and from region to region.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Forehead Reduction Options

+2

Female forehead reduction is a necessary tool in brow reduction. Essentially a scar is placed just anterior to the hairline. The scalp and hair is elevated and released, allowing it to be pulled forward. The release of the scalp is called a galeotomy. While doing this, the brows can be elevated and lifted. Despite extensive dissection, the tight nature of the scalp usually allows for about 2 cm of reduction. This can be determined preoperatively by feeling how mobile the scalp is. Note this procedure can not be performed if you had an old fashioned brow lift (coronal lift) prior.

I don't perform forehead reduction procedures in men. The hairline may continue to recede and scars that remain may look ridiculous. Men with receding hairlines, that is every male patient, require innovative techniques which elevate the brow while maintaining the hairline and minimize scarring. Fortunately, for most male patients the brow needs minimal elevation or just maintenance of position. Hair transplants can be helpful in some male patients.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

High forehead

+1
Decreasing the height of the forehead is possible by doing hair transplantation or by excising the non  
hair-bearing skin in front of the hairline. In the latter procedure, the incision is placed just within the front hairline and angled so as to avoid damaging the follicles. The undersurface of the hair-bearing scalp usually needs some relaxing incisions so that the scalp can be brought forward a couple of centimeters. Devices called endotines are placed within the bone of the skull. The endotine has little pointed prongs or "tines" onto which the scalp is impaled so as to keep the advancement from being pulled back. The excess non hair-bearing forehead skin is then excised and the wound closed.
In some cases an expander is placed for 2-3 months first, if it is felt that the scalp will not advance sufficiently.
Expanders are also helpful in stretching the skin around male temporal recessions for adequate closure in these areas.

Stephen J. Pincus, MD