Does Forehead Reduction/hairline Lowering Look Natural?

I'm considering a forehead reduction, but after researching before and after pictures and reading up on it, I'm not sure anymore. It seems the best candidates are ones with a thick hairline, and my hairline isn't very thick. That and in most of the after pictures I've seen the hairline looks almost plastic, like you can easily tell that it's been lowered. Is it something that changes from doctor to doctor, or do all procedures have this affect? Is a hair transplant a better option for me?

Surgical Hairline Advancement

+1
First of all, of the over 50 surgical hairline advancement procedures I have performed, I have never had a patient complain that it looks unnatural.  With a fine hairline, there is a higher risk of the donor site scar being visible, so I may recommend that you more consider hair grafting.  However, there are many other factors that determine patient appropriateness for one or the other procedure-  I suggest you meet with a surgeon experienced in both procedrues.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead reduction or hair grafting for forehead reduction

+1

Both are procedures that can decrease the length of your forehead.  If you are a male, grafting may give you a better result but realize additional grafting or other procedures will be needed if you develop a receding hairline.  If you are female, a browlift should easily produce the result you desire.  The incisions can be done such that hair will grow through the scar and make it less noticeable.  Talk to your surgeon about your goals and let them help you to the correct decision for yourself.

Curtis Wong, MD

Natural looking forehead reduction

+1

this procedure can look natural.  if the skin is cut at a bevel, one can create a scar where some hair grows through the scar.  if the suturing is done well and the sutures are removed early, the scar can be very minimal.  generally we try to preserve the shape of your natural hairline, but it is lowered to give you the appearance you desire.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

+1

Aesthetically speaking, the real issue is the incision that is right along the frontal hairline.  The frontal (forehead) skin is then removed and the hairline lowered.  However, the hairline normally has villous hairs that break up "the line" appearance of the hairline making it appear more natural.  The incision, as mentioned, removes these villous hairs as well as the forehead skin making the incisions and hairline to noticeable IMO.  You may want to consider hair transplants as a more viable means of lowering the frontal hairline.

Good Candidates For Hairline Lowering/Forehead Reduction

+1

The best forehead reduction by hairline lowering results do come from those patients that have a good frontal hairline density and pattern. The scalp advancement almost always creates a fairly straight hairline which I think you understandably are calling unnatural. To avoid that concern and if your hairline does not have a good density, then you may be better off considering hair transplantation. Always remember you can always do hair tranplantation after a hairline lowering to make it look more irregular and natural looking iof it is unacceptable. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Hairline Lowering with Natural Result

+1

Hairline lowering is an effective way to improve facial proportions. We developed the Irregular hairline incision to camouflage the incision so hair will grow through and in front of the incision so the patient can style their hair anyway they desire. In patients who do not have thick hair it is technically easier to achieve a softer, natural hairline.

Natural looking results of forehead reduction

+1

The natural look of a surgical result is dependent on the technique of the surgeon. This operation is especially so. There are multiple factors of patient selection and details in technique that can result in consistent natural looking, undetectable results. A hair transplant may be no more or more less natural looking, again depending on the judgement and skill of the surgeon. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon