Is Forehead Reduction Possible for Extreme Brow Bone Protrusion?

I posted a question concerning a forehead reduction, and it seems my problem wasn't clear. My area of concern is my brow bone. Especially the area above my nose, which sticks out extremely, making me look 'special ed' or like a Neanderthal. It sticks out most right in between my eyes. Can this be shaved back or repositioned? As I mentioned, the look of this is quite extreme.

Forehead protrusion

+2

A prominent supraorbital ridge can be shaved down. First, you would want to get films to assess the thickness of the bone. You will probably need to have this accomplished through either an endoscopic approach or open.

Reshaping the forehead bone

+2

The procedure used would depend on exactly where the prominence is. If it is at or below the level of the eyebrows an incision is made inside the nose and the bone shaved down with a rasp and/or guarded burr. If it is higher up the forehead exposure is achieved using an incision above the hairline on the scalp and a burr used to take the bone done.

Aaron Stone, MD

Forehead reduction is possible, but can be invasive

+1

While the forehead bone itself can be shaped back, this is a rather invasive procedure if the frontal bone needs to be broken and set back into the frontal sinus. It will need to be plated, and there is always the chance of getting an infection from the frontal sinus. It is a very difficult process to try to bring the frontal bone backward into the face without doing major frontal bone osteotomies, breaking bones, and setting them backward.

Forehead Reduction

+1

The SUPRA-ORBITAL RIDGE - the area you are referring to may be very pronounced in some individuals giving them a Neanderthal / Geico Man / very masculine appearance.

The ability to shave this bone down with power burrs would depend on its thickness and how close the frontal sinus, the air space between the outer and inner layer of the bones in the front, is to the ridge. If the ridge is thick and the sinus is relatively far away, burring it would be much easier than if the outer table was thin. A CT scan or MRI would need to be done to have this information before any such surgery was attempted.

Dr. P. Aldea

Reduction of Forehead Bone Protrusion

+1

Hi C,

Yes, you can have your forehead excessive boney protrusion taken down.  It is accomplished using burrs to sand down the excessive bone.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD