Forcible Hand-less Blowing of Congested Nose 10 Weeks After Rhinoplasty Okay?

My nose has been extremely congested recently to the extent that I'm unable to breathe in and out of nostrils. I sucked in as much air and very forcibly expelled it through my nostrils by closing my mouth. I did not utilize hands. Some crust came out of my nose. I am afraid that the pressure of air with little place to go-because of the severe congestion-caused my nasal bones that were broken during surgery to splay. Is this a legitimate concern? Thank you (sorry for bad English)

Forcible hand-less blowing of congested nose 10 weeks after rhinoplasty ok?

+1

I would recommend avoiding any forceful expulsion of air. After 10 weeks, your nasal bones are healed and you will not have to worry about altering them. But it is still not a good idea to blow forcefully. It would be best to get to the root of the issue and let your surgeon examine your airway. You did not state the exact reason for  your congestion, but it could be due to a number of things, including:

1) Sinus infection
2) Allergies
3) Nasal polyps

Only an exam can tell, and I would advise you to follow up with  your surgeon. Thank you and good luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based upon your description, the likelihood of damage is low, but I would follow with your surgeon.

No damage will be done to the nose by blowing 10 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

I personally have no problem with you in evacuating the nose forcefully 10 weeks after a rhinoplasty. Nevertheless, this is a question best addressed to your own surgeon.

Blowing the nose after surgery

+1

It should be fine for you to blow your nose gently after 10 weeks after surgery.  If you have questions then let your surgeon know.  

Forcibly Blowing Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

According to the tags on your question, you were 2 months post rhinoplasty when you asked your question.  The nasal bones are solidly healed and stable after 4 to 6 weeks following rhinoplasty.  Prior to this time, it would be possible, with enough congestion and enough force, to disrupt the healing process and push the nasal bones apart -- but even this would be rare.  I have never had to re-set a nose due to forceful sneezing. However, at 2 months out, so long as the healing process hasn't been interrupted for some reason, it would be impossible for the force of an obstructed sneeze to push the healed nasal bones apart.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon