What Should I Be Looking for when Finding a Suitable Surgeon for an Otoplasty?

1) What are the chances of keloid/raised scarring when having an otoplasty? 2) What are the chances of the ears relapsing (i.e. stickling out again)? 3) What is the ideal technique 4) My ears look similar to this girls

Finding Surgeon for Otoplasty

+2

1) The best predictor of future scarring is past scarring. If you have a history of keloids or hypertrophic scars, you would be at increased risk for having troublesome scars on your ears.

2) If the right technique is performed to address the problems you have with your ears, the likelihood of relapse is low.

3) The "ideal technique" depends upon what exactly needs to be done to correct your problem. Prominent ears usually present with at least one of the following two problems: an undefined antihelical fold or an excess conchal bowl. If you do not have a well defined antihelical fold, cartilage scoring and suturing to recreate this anatomical landmark would likely benefit you. If you have too much conchal bowl, cartilage scoring, resection or conchomastoid sutures may be beneficial for you.

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

+1

Otoplasty is one of those procedures that most plastic surgeons don't do very often, so it is really important to find a surgeon who has ample experience with it.  There are a number of different techniques used and it can take a while for a surgeon to get adequate experience with otoplasty to the point of consistent results.  As far as the scar is concerned, it is in the crease behind the ear and I ave never had a keloid following otoplasty.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Otoplasty

+1

While most plastic and ENT surgeons have done otoplasties, you need to find one who has done many of the procedures. Someone with a history of work in a children's hospital or doing significant pediatric surgery will usually fit this requirement. If you do this, the likelihood of you having hypertrophic scarring (if you do not already have significant hypertrophic scars) or having recurrence is very slim. The best technique depends on the problem and usually has to be modified depending on the individual desires and anatomy.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

+1

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.                                                                                                                          Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Otoplasty and finding a surgeon

+1

The best thing to do is really study their website and see their before and afters and look at their credentials. They should be certified in facial plastic surgery or plastic surgery. keloids are rare for otoplasty but if you are inclined to keloids I would be aware of the increased risks of keloids in you. Relapse is most common in the upper third in the ear and you can overcompensate for this. The ideal technique is done from the back of the ear.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon