Is It Possible for the Swelling After a Rhinoplasty to Be Gone After One Month?

I had an open 1st time rhinoplasty 1 month ago;I had a very small hump on the bridge of my nose removed,my nose tip very slightly shortened + very slightly lifted.My nose was not broken during surgery.1 month afterwards I find my nose looking fine,except for some swelling on the sides.I'm very satisfied with the size and shape of the tip of my nose know and I'm worried that it will become very small and not look good if it gets (much) smaller.Is it possible that the swelling has subsided?

Swelling will still be present one month post open rhinoplasty

An open rhinoplasty is associated with longer resolution for swelling than a closed one. There are other factors which do play a role in the extent as well as duration of the swelling following this procedure. Not having an osteotomy means less swelling and possibly earlier resolution of it. However, at one month you still will have some swelling and it can take up  to a year to maximally resolve. 

10290 N 92nd St
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

It's doubtful that all the residual swelling has gone in only 1 month following an open Rhinoplasty.  Open Rhinoplasty, by the nature of increased tissue dissection over the nasal tip area, would have increased duration of swelling that lasts typically 3-6 months minimally.  

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Post op Swelling Rhinoplasty

Post op Rhinoplasty swelling can last from several months to a year.  Each person recovers at a different rate. 

David Alessi, MD

9735 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Postop Nose Swelling Following Rhinoplasty

You can certainly see a dramatic decline in swelling within a month of having an open rhinoplasty. However, it would be highly unlikely that all of the swelling has subsided within this time period. I usually tell my open rhinoplasty patients that nearly 70-80% of the swelling will be gone within 2-3 months of the surgery. That still leaves a moderate amount of swelling to further subside upwards of 1-2 years later. Happy healing.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

3720 Fourth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92103

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Swelling can take up to a year to completely resolve.  Every case is different.  If you didn't have your nose broken and didn't have significant tip work done then your nose may approximate its final result sooner than a year. 

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

57 Centre Street
Thornhill, ON L4J 1G2

One Month Swelling After Open Rhinoplasty

It is always pleasing to see that a rhinoplasty patient is happy with what they see early after surgery. While not all of the swelling is gone at one month after an open rhinoplasty, there is not going to be a dramatic change over the next year as all swelling resolves. I would have not concern that it will end up too small, particularly given you like what you see now.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Duration of Swelling after Nose Surgery

The amount and duration of swelling after nose surgery would depend on HOW MUCH was done and on HOW it was done. The mpre extensive the operation and the rougher the handling of the tissues the more the swelling present and the longer it would last. It is exceedingly rare that all swelling would be gone by one month after surgery.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Swelling and rhinoplasty

In general, the majority of swelling after rhinoplasty will go down within about 6-8 weeks,b ut there is residual swelling that usually persists for several months to a year.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Swelling after Rhinoplasty?

It generally takes at least one year for complete resolution of swelling after rhinoplasty surgery. Undoubtedly, at this stage in your recovery some residual swelling is present. This does not necessarily mean that ongoing resolution of the swelling will lead you displeased with the results of your procedure. I would suggest continued patience and follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Swelling one month after rhinoplasty

The less that was done, the less swelling.  It i impossible for all the swelling to be gone as this takes more like a year.  But hopefully in that time all you will see is nice subtle refinement.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004