Is It Possible for Me to Still Have Botox when I Get my Period Next Month, Even Though I Have Plans to Have Baby?

Is it possible for me to still have Botox when I get my period next month, even though I have plans to have a baby? I believe although Botox is a bacteria, it is concentrated only in the injected site, and won't get into the blood stream. I'm just wondering if it will have any effect on my baby if I have Botox on October and happen to conceive around November or December.

Botox and pregnancy

+1

First:  Botox is not a bacteria.  It is derived from a bacteria.  It can not cause an infection. 

Second: I would not inject a know pregnant woman with Botox.  There is no good reason not to, but with pregancy, I and nearly all physicians, tread with undo caution. 

I think that will be fine to have Botox at any time prior to getting pregnant. 

#botox

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Pregnancy

+1

The medical legal climate is such that no one would recommend botox to a pregnant woman however I doubt seriously if any amount of toxin leaves the primary site of injection.  ie the likelihood of botox causing problems is slim. Having said that avoid it in the first trimester.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Botox and pregnancy

+1

I don't think that anyone would recommend Botox in pregnancy or when trying because one does not always know when they are pregnant. However, if you are having a normal period, say by day three, you should be safe to know that you are not pregnant. Botox should not be a problem if you then become pregnant the next cycle. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox and potential pregnancy

+1

If a woman is actively trying to conceive a baby, they should absolutely not get Botox.  If they began their menstruation and are not pregnant then it is fine if they receive Botox.  There is definitely that grace period of a possible unknown pregnancy, so as far as we see it better safe than sorry..If conceiving is one's main priority take a break from Botox.  It is OK to have wrinkles @ this time.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Botox is not a good idea if you are trying to get pregnant

+1

There have been no studies with Botox and pregnancy, but it's not a good idea to have Botox injections at the same time you are trying to get pregnant.  Having said that, there are probably thousands of women who have had Botox when they didn't now they were pregnant and I haven't heard of any problems with babies born to these women.  The Botox would only be in your circulation for a few hours after the injection and then it is bound and incorporated into the nerves in the area injected.  Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Destin, Florida.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox and pregnancy

+1

We don't test Botox on pregnant or breast-feeding women, for obvious reasons. I know many women who got Botox and then a month or so later, conceived a child. We don't normally tell women to wait to be sure the Botox is 100% out of their system before pregnancy, but no doctor should perform a Botox injection on you once you are pregnant. It's up to you to decide if you want to have Botox and then start trying to conceive.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD