Is It Ok for a Splint to Stay on for 14 Days After Rhinoplasty?

I had read up on rhinoplasty pre-op. I expected to have my splint off 5-7 days post op. I was very surprised when my surgeon said I will see you in 2 weeks to get the splint off but being very tired from surgery I never questioned it. I am now 5 days post op and my splint is already driving me crazy I'm not sure how I will last another 9 days. Is 14 days ok ?

Splint for 2 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Keeping the splint for 14 days may not have any negative effects.  If that is the protocol your surgeon uses, and he or she has done a few hundred without any problem, then just ask why he or she prefers this.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Splint duration post-rhinoplasty

+1

If the splint loosens up after a few days, it will just be annoying and not functionally useful. Seven days is usually the maximum that it will be of any structural support. Therefore, 14 days seems a bit excessive.

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Splint Use After Rhinoplasty

+1

A 2 week period of splint use is somewhat longer than average. I normally keep the splint in place for 5-6 days after rhinoplasty surgery. This is something that should be easily explained by your surgeon if there is good reason to do so.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal splint for two weeks?

+1

Usually surgeons leave the splint on for one week.  Why your surgeon wants to keep it on for two weeks is something to ask him directly.

Rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Dear Meaghanjonstone94,

• This is a conversation you should have with your surgeon
  • You should be able to call their office to see if the splint can come off sooner
  • You should not remove it on your own as you do not want to pull the skin too much

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD