What to Do for Skin/Face Rejuvenation at a Young Age? (photo)

Hello, I am 22 years old and while my face is not looking "old" per se (yet, knock on wood), I have seen some aging changes that bother me. I stressed a lot in college and as a teen I got too much sun exposure. Although I am no longer in the sun a lot, I see some fine lines and the beginning of sag in my cheeks. (They are pretty soft and can easily "flip" if I turn my head upside down). My skin is thin and sensitive with some broken caps that recently appeared all at once. It seems dehydrated.

Fraxel DUAL Services

+1
Fraxel DUAL treatments are non-ablative laser procedures that induce collagen remodeling. New collagen production counteracts the aging process that weakens your skin and leads to sagging, fine lines, wrinkles and an uneven skin tone. Fraxel DUAL is also FDA approved for treatment on an array of pigmented lesions, including ephelides (freckles), lentigos (age spots) and solar lentigos (sun spots), typically causedby sun exposure.

Fraxel DUAL Laser is also FDA approved to treat crow’s feet (periorbital wrinkles), acne & surgical scars, melasma and actinic keratosis. It incorporates the use of two laser strengths to stimulate collagen and refine skin.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Preventing your skin from aging too early

+1

I believe that catching the skin changes of aging early are far more beneficial than waiting until significant changes which can be more difficult and more costly to treat have occurred. The first step would be to make sure that your skin is protected at all times by using at least SPF 35 sunscreen before leaving your house and a long-lasting moisturizer if you have a tendency towards dry skin. For generalized volume loss of the face I think Ultherapy is a great treatment when used preventatively as it stimulates your own body to produce collagen to tighten and firm your skin.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Early Skin Rejuvenation Interventions May Slow the Aging Process

+1

There is a growing sentiment among those of us who have spent many years in skin rejuvenation treatment that early intervention may not only improve skin appearance, but slow the actual aging process. 

For these reasons, we are now routinely treating and benefiting people in their thirties and even early twenties with treatments, such as neuromodulators (e.g. Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) and volumizing fillers(such as Perlane L, Juvederm UltraPlus XC, Radiesse). Before tiny, shallow crow's feet lines, which are seen only on smiling , forehead "worry" lines or frown line between the eyes can turn into deep lines present at rest, we can now treat them with a neuromodulator to forestall these undesirable effects.

Loss of volume, in the inner or central cheeks can be corrected by the injection of volumizing fillers, in a sense "resuspending" a face that is beginning to display the effects of gravity. And crinkle lines and fine wrinkles that have already etched the skin can be plumped with fillers, not only improving them for the short haul, but stimulating native collagen production (neocollagenesis), as well. These are just a couple of instances of rejuvenation preventive maintenance treatments or early interventions that can impact considerably on appearance and the rate of skin aging.

Likewise, tiny "broken" capillaries can be treated quickly and easily with radiowave treatments (a matter of minutes only) to get rid of them before they can go on to arborize (spread out like so many twigs on tree branches) and utltimately criss-cross the whole cheek and nose.

Coupled with the home use of sunscreens, retinoids (e.g. Differin or Tazorac) and perhaps an alpha hydroxyacid cream, the above measures can go a long way to keeping skin younger looking for longer and aging more slowly.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Skin care for young skin

+1

Besides using sunscreen every day and avoiding too much direct sun exposure, there ARE several things you can do, even without spending a lot of time and money such as laser, peels, creams, etc.

Don't overlook the importance of nutrition (fish, fresh vegetables, fruit to name a few), hydration(recommended daily intake of 8, 8oz. of water), vitamins and SLEEP.  Many people are sleep deprived and this takes its toll on your skin as well as your overall well being. 

So, eat, drink and sleep for younger looking skin! 

~ Dr. Gregory Diehl

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Aging face in young woman

+1

The most important thing is to use sunscreen-every day -rain or shine to make it a habit. I reinoid such as Retin-A, Differrin or Tazorac can help with fine lines. Moisturizers with retinol or alpha-hydroxy acids in them are also helpful.  The red bloods can be treated with a laser called the Perfetca. It is a pulsed dye laser that is very safe although serveral treatments are necessary. You should never be tan.

Vicki J. Levine, MD