Would It Be Possible for Me to Have Low Profile Implants? (photo)

I'm interested in getting a very natural look and from what i've seen the lower profile implants look far more natural. i prefer a flatter look with less projection but have quite narrow breasts to start with. They are also wide set so i was hoping lower profile implants would close the gap up and allow me to get some cleavage. Is this possible?

Projection determined by lift more than implant profile

+1

Your photograph shows marked asymmetry with excess medial separation of your breasts.  You will need 2 things done.  First, you will need different size implants with the left side larger than the right side.  Second, you will need the breasts lifted and displaced medially.  There is a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision your breast is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and displace medial to increase cleavage.  Breast lift will maximize anterior projection more than implant profile.  I recommend silicone gel implants.  They look and feel more natural and retro-pectoral position is more stable long term.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

?Tubular breast, choice of implant

+1

First of all, this is a more complex decision than for the average breast augmentation patient. Based on this single photo, I suspect your breast shape might well fit the diagnosis of tubular breast. There are a number of features that define a tubular breast:

•Wide and puffy areolae
•widely spaced breasts
•high breast fold
•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast)
•minimal breast tissue
•high breast fold
•narrow base of the breast

It is hard to be sure from just a photo, but it appears that you have many of these features, and for improvement of this usually a combination of implants, breast lift, and some manipulation of the breast tissue is done. The actual choice of implant is only one of numerous considerations here. 

As a general rule, we try to match the width of the implant with the width of the breast to achieve a natural appearance. The profile is usually chosen after the desired size, often the primary  goal, has been selected, and then matching the breast width to the best fit among the profiles.  If the profile is the primary goal, a small choice of implant sizes would be offered as appropriate to the measurements. Again, these are all guidelines, and compromised can be made with the understanding of the pros and cons. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf maintains a listing of plastic surgeons in your area. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org) has a list with which to cross reference, assuring that your surgeon is in good standing with the largest organization of plastic surgeons in the US.  Thanks and best wishes. 

Would It Be Possible for Me to Have Low Profile #Implants? (photo) ANS:

+1

Yes you can have lower profile implants and from your photo that may work well for you. You seem to have a bit of a tubular presentation and I would worry that an implant that is over projected will make this even worse! But that will be a discussion with your surgeon but you do have a bit of a challenge with the tubular like presentation...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Low profile implants and controlled, natural results

+1

There are many definitions and understandings of the term "natural". To me it looks like a breast that doesn't have an implant behind it. The other issue is controlling the result and doing what is feasible/reasonable rather than based on wishful thinking or picking a size of implant and working backwards. 

The simple answer is that you can have a low profile implant if you choose an Allergan saline-filled implant but the lowest profile implant in gel-filled implants is not called that (Allergan or Mentor). The profile has to do with the forward volume of the implant and usually makes the breast look about one cup size larger from what it started at. This depends on the implant being sized and positioned properly. Breasts that are very narrow or wide for the chest circumference will not get the same effect just as in shirt sizes when the neck is too big for the chest size of an off-the-shelf shirt size. 

In your case there are other issues to consider. The right breast is normal but off-axis (off to the side and the nipple-areola pointing laterally). This is a normal variant but can't be corrected with an implant. The true width of your breast may be wider than it looks and this would allow for an implant that would fill out the medial side of the breast and make them look closer together but you can't violate the medial edge of the breast with the implant and not risk unnaturalness and problems. The left breast is smaller and shows some constriction of the lower pole (a type of tuberous or constricted breast). This can be improved by filling out the lower pole with an implant including a low profile one but some significant asymmetry may still be present. The volume difference can be partially offset with the same size saline-filled implant filled to the minimum on the right and maximum on the left. This is harder to do with pre-filled gel implants as a larger size implant of the same profile will be wider too. 

I would make sure the surgeon knows and can measure the true width of your breasts and uses a lowest profile implant that fits this width (minus the skin/fat layer). If you can't see the medial edge of your breast, stand upright and push on the lateral side of your breast. You should be able to see the true edge of it on the medial side at the level of the nipple. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

+1

WIthout an exam it is very difficult to suggest what would be best for you. Yes, low profile implants are wider and may be suitable, but it seems that you have a tuberous component as well.

Getting breast implants and still appearing natural

+1

There are many options to have breast augmentation and still have natural appearing breasts.  This can be achieved with implants that have a moderate projection or even with the use of your own fatty tissue.   The most important thing is to clearly communicate your desires to an experienced plastic surgeon.  Make sure you look through some before and after photos to ensure that this surgeon can or has achieved similar result to what you desire.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Choice of Implants with Tuberous/ Constricted Breast

+1

Breast augmentation is a very useful way to improve the appearance of tuberous breast shapes, but requires careful planning. An implant that is either too wide, or too narrow may not achieve the results you are looking for. Additionally, a breast lift may be recommended to correct a signficant asymmetry in nipple height. I recommend that you see a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon for a full consultation and they will be best able to guide you through the process and get the best possible results.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Are low profile implants right for me?

+1

You do have tuberous breasts which can be improved with careful augmentation and possibly a peri-areolar lift type procedure. Your breasts are asymmetric as well which will require2 different sized implants. The profile of the implant to be used depends upon your measurements and your goals of cup or bra size. There are many variables to consider which should be discussed in your consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

I hope this helps

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Low profile breast implants

+1

You have both breast asymmetry and a degree of tuberous breast deformity with a narrow base width.  The success of a procedure for you would depend on your goals and should be discussed in a detailed consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Augmentation alone will help improve your appearance, but your anatomy is a bit complicated and the size implants, style and breast base issues need to be planned carefully due to your anatomy.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon