What Should I Do for Premature Aging at 32? (photo)

I'm a 32 years old woman, overweight, very oily and sensitive skin with very enlarged pores. i don't smoke, drink or sunbathe. I've been dealing with prematurely aged skin for a long time but lately i'm noticing my marionette lines are now much more pronounced and clearly noticeable. Is facelift the only answer for my for my prematurely aged skin? Thank you

I recommend healthy lifestyle changes, not a facelift

+1

As a physician, a facelift is not the only solution for you. At the age of 32, you are well below the typical age for a facelift. The fact that you are overweight can have a tremendous impact on your facial appearance as well as your general health. I would advice that you first seek the guidance of a physician and a nutritionist or somebody to help you with exercise and personal training. Do whatever it takes to get you into a healthier lifestyle. I always teach my patients that doing things that are good for your heart and your lungs is good for your skin. Your skin very much reflects the general state of health of the body.

There’s also much discussion about free radicals and things that happen when people are overweight that causes advancing of the aging process. Certainly, the skin is an organ and it will reflect the general state of health.

My recommendation is don’t pursue and any type of facial cosmetic surgical procedure at this time. First, take care of your physical health and develop the healthy habits that you need for a lifelong of good health. Deal with any cosmetic issues as they come up as you get older. I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Premature aging

+1

It’s very difficult to tell without really examining you, but a good skin care regimen would most likely help you with your skin problem.  I have a licensed aesthetician on board with my practice, and my suggestion would be to first sit with a board certified plastic surgeon, who would be able to guide you in suggestions about fillers etc. for your marionette lines and most likely your surgeon will also have an aesthetician on board also. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facelift question - premature aging

+1

Absolutely not!  Go to your local mainstream provider (plastic surgeon, dermatologist or a facial plastic surgeon) and get a office consult!  In fact, get 2-3 consults and you will see there are plenty of alternatives!  Non-surgical facial rejuvenation has many possibilities such fillers, botox, photofacial and laser treatments to name a few.

Best Wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Premature Aging

+1

Like your hair color and eye color, some of the qualities of your skin are genetically determined, while others can be somewhat controlled.  It is great that you don't smoke, and it is very important to continue to avoid excessive sun.  

There are several things that can be done for your skin- starting with a good skin care program.  We use ZO at our office but you should consult with a local plastic surgeon who provides skincare consultations.  

Your lower eyelids can be somewhat improved with some eye creams, but surgery may eventually be helpful to remove excess fatty tissue here if this persists.  

The downturned corners of your mouth can be from several issues, but the use of Botox in some of the muscles that pull down on the corners of your mouth, the oral depressors, may be very helpful here.

Again, a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can really help provide you with some options.  Other noninvasive options such as Ultherapy may also be helpful- ask your surgeon about these as well.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Non surgical options for early aging skin

+1

Fortunately, there are many non-surgical options available to improve and rejuvenate the face.  These include, fillers, botox, peels, radiofrequency treatments and others.  You will need an in person consultation to determine what is best for you.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Am I aging prematurely & what to do?

+1

We age according to our genetics inherited from our ancestors (out of our control), decisions we make regarding our diet, sun, smoking, weight, etc (in our control) and sometimes a bit of good or bad fortune thrown in. Assuming your diet is decent, sun damage is minimal, smoke exposure is slight and your overall health is good, what else can we do to reduce the rate at which we age and show aging changes?  There are a range of options beginning with pharmaceutical strength skin care, sometimes using lasers to help tweak skin, & perhaps use of topical peeling agents to help revitalize skin. The next  steps may include neurotoxins (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) and injectable fillers such as Restylane, Radiesse, Sculptra and others. Sometimes localized liposuction can remove targeted fat excess. The next level of rejuvenation may be surgical.  But a consultation with an experienced and specialty appropriate  surgeon would shed more light on this. Remember that our goal is not to stop aging, but to age well!  

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Premature aging--what to do.

+1

Your best overall improvements would be achieved by losing weight, as this will help to slim the cheeks and decrease the apparent depth of your nasolabial and subcommissural (marionette) folds. HA fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, and others can provide additional smoothing in these areas, and if you like the effect, consider fat grafting for permanent softening.

Loose skin can only be addressed via facelift, but at 32 you have supple, elastic skin that should "snap back" nicely after weight loss. Staying out of the sun and avoiding tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption certainly help!

For that "middle ground" where you're not quite ready for facelift surgery, but want more than fillers can achieve, consider Exilis RF treatment to tighten skin and reduce subcutaneous fat, or Ultherapy focused ultrasonic treatments to these areas of concern. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Facelift or Fillers

+1

In younger patients, filler may be a very good option.  Another option for patients with more areas to fill is fat grafting.

Surgery vs. fillers

+1

Alot of your concerns can be addressed with fillers.....more and more patients are turning to their use..do they last? The result about the midface,lower eyelids,the hollowness and minimizing the jowls,are excellent.Having said that,i have done partial lifting on younger patients with excellent results,since in m

any cases patients come in specifically for a procedure...In my experience,the younger the patient the happier they are with the results.....

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS