What is Better for Pain Relief, a Pain Pump or a SofPulse and Why?

I am wondering what is better for pain relief... a pain pump or a SofPulse, and why. Do they serve the same purpose for a tummy tuck, or different? Thank you.

Pain pumps are effective for tummy tuck.

+2

Pain pumps are readily available and very effective. I don't think you will get a consistent answer about which is better.  I don't know of a head-to-head comparison.

Tummy Tuck and Pain Relief?

+2

Unfortunately,  I do not think you will be able to find objective data as to which one of the devices provides for better pain control. Personally, I use a pain pump for tummy tuck patients routinely;  even so, it is difficult to know objectively if the pain pump provides for better postoperative experience than traditional oral pain medication.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Pain pump such as On-Q probably better after tummy tuck

+2

SofPulse is an interesting technology that externally applies a microcurrent pulse intended to reduce pain and swelling after surgery. Pain pumps have a catherter placed into the surgical site where they slowly infuses a numbing medication, so in terms of pain reduction there are quite effective and we use them routinely. I also use the Sofpulse but it can't normally be used on the same site as a pain pump so if I had to choose one I would go with the On-Q.

Pain Relief - SofPulse or Painpump

+2

I'm sorry to say I have no experience with the sofpulse, primarily because of the cost of equipment. We have used pain pumps routinely for almost a decade in Breast augments ande Tummy tucks with very good results. From what I understand the sofpulse can be removed for a shower and that is not the case with the pain pump. Pain pumps come in different sizes for length of activity. We use one that gives relief for 4 1/2 days and thus gets patients beyond the rough first 23 postop days.