For Someone with my Eyes What Are Your Thoughts in Terms of Risks and Suitability of Either Procedure? (Lasik and Phakic Iol)

I wear eyeglasses with +1.75 and +3.25 diopter lenses. I have been investigating eye surgery options. My eye doctor mentioned that with lasik there was a chance that my worse eye might not heal properly because of the steepness of the pitch. He mentioned he would be more confident in a Phakic IOL procedure. For someone with my eyes what are your thoughts in terms of risks and suitability of either procedure? Thanks -Brendan

LASIK vs LASEK vs PRK vs phakic IOL

+1

you got some bad info

phakic IOL is an intraocular procedure that has a risk of blindness from endophthalmitis

although this risk is low, it means that it should be used only as a last resort

by last resort i mean prescriptions worse than -15 or worse than +6

LASIK is a good choice for all mild prescriptions, as it is safe, easy, and cheap

most surgeons know how to do LASIK, as it is the basic procedure out there

you are in the intermediate category, where PRK/LASEK are the best options

PRK is an archaic procedure with pain and delayed healing, i did my last PRK in 1999

so only get a PRK if nobody where you live knows how to do a true LASEK
LASEK is the best procedure for you as it's more advanced than PRK

it doesn't hurt and recovery is fast

it's a surface procedure not involving cutting so the steepness isn't an issue

the problem with a steep cornea is it buckles when you cut a LASIK flap

this causes a buttonhole flap, or a doughnut, so the procedure can't be completed

some doctors think you can't flatten or steepen past a certain K or bad vision

this is really old data from over a decade ago that is no longer relevant

newer lasers have improved ablation profiles with better transition/blend zones

anyway, sorry for the long technical answer, but in my opinion, you should get LASEK

Emil William Chynn, MD, FACS, MBA

Park Avenue Laser

New York Ophthalmologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.