What can I do for my dermal melasma? (photo)

Hi, I am very distressed with my face as I have been getting much worse in the last year. I am 38 years old and don't have any children. I used contraceptives when I was 26 for about 1 year. I got small blotches on my nose. It spread around my mouth, chin and now whole face! Please see photos. Please help as my self esteem is shattered and I'm just too embarrassed to meet new people. I found it is easier to see with less light. There was a period I didn't have it from 32 to 36,it wasn't really noticeable. Does stress trigger this? A Bad relationship cause allot in last 3 years.

Melasma treatment

+1
Judging by the provided picture and history the condition appears to be melasma, which is very commonly caused by hormonal changes and worsened through sun exposure. It is very important to wear sunscreen daily with at least 30 SPF. Our office has a wide variety of lightening creams which work depending on your skin type. Also, chemical peels and microdermabrasion have shown to reduce the dark pigmentation from melasma.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Melasma and dark discoloration on the skin

+1

Melarase creams and light chemical peels will help improve your melasma on the face. Deep melasma may take longer to improve than epidermal melasma.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Melasma Treatment Options

+1

From what I can tell from your picture, you may have a condition called Melasma, which is common in woman whom have used Birth Control Pills or have had children. This is a condition that can be treated, however, can come back and is triggered by heat and sun exposure. I would recommend that you find a local Board Certified Dermatologist who can make a professional recommendation based upon the condition of the skin and your background. We have several treatments we use at our office; however, they vary depending upon the patient. I know that using a bleaching cream every night and sunscreen everyday (spf 50) will be very helpful in combating this issue in the future. However, you may need a stronger treatment at first in order to break up the Melasma to allow bleaching creams to penetrate. The Cosmelan MD treatment is effective and something you could look into. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon