What Can I Do for my Daughter to Best Prevent Her Face from Scarring? (photo)

21 month old daughter fell 5 days ago and split her right eyebrow open. Had 2 internal stitches and 6 external stitches. The cut was to the bone. I'm VERY worried about her having a scar in the future and want to do as much as I possibly can now, to minimize scarring later. I have both mederma + sunscreen and the scarguard product. Can I use either product or both for her? The doctors have just told us to use mederma and sunscreen, but is that enough? Any other products? When can I start using?

Healing scars in children. Eyebrow scar treatment

Steri strips in the early phase, followed by judicious pulsed dye laser will help this scar heal to full potential.

Scar in 5 year old

This scar is relatively fresh. Scars take one year to fade and mature. I dont think mederma has any medicinal vluue. Avoid sun exposure and allow time to fade the scar.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Kitoscell

We recommend a product for recent scars called Kitoscell. Use it once a day for at least 6 months, luckily, children are also fast healers and the scar doesn't look too wide as it is.

Alejandro Enriquez de Rivera, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon