What to Do for my Chin? (photo)

I am planning on getting rhinoplasty already, but I am trying to decide what to do for my chin. A doctor told me from these picture that I have an overbite. I did have braces though that were supposed to fix that. If I understand correctly, these are my options For an overbite: 1) Remove teeth 2) braces alone 3) Jaw surgery Aesthetic Fixes: Genioplasty Chin Implant Fat Graft If I get genioplasty now, will this cause problems in the future if i want braces again? I dont want to cut corners.

Chin surgery options

+1

It's hard to assess your bite from your photos alone. If your teeth do fit together normally you could consider either a chin implant or sliding genioplasty to improve your chin projection.

Sliding genioplasty doesn't change the teeth position so you could get braces down the road if you needed to.

You can read more about combining chin surgery with rhinoplasty at my web reference link below.

Rhinoplasty and chin implant

+1

A chin implant is in excellent alternative to improve the chin profile without  cutting  the mandible and setting it forward. The chin implant is composed of Silastic, is inserted through small submental incision and placed directly over the bone to augment the chin area. Expect  a moderate amount of forward augmentation, a slight vertical augmentation and lateral augmentation as well to the chin. Performing a chin implant is an excellent procedure for a receding chin and overly projected nose. Virtual cosmetic surgery software is available on our website for you to try to see what your new nose and chin would look like from the profile view.

Genioplasty vs. Implant For Short Chin/Jaw

+1

Given your degree of jaw/chin shortness and your young age, you should strongly consider a sliding genioplasty if you are going the aesthetic fix route. While an implant is another option, large chin augmentations long-term have a lower risk of complications than moving your own bone. Fat grafting would be a poor choice as it is effective, at best, in only minor amounts of chin augmentation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

You should ask your rhinoplasty surgeon if he thinks you may be a candidate for Chin Implant Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

Since you're planning a rhinoplasty, you should investigate the ramifications of Chin Implant Surgery. This may result in a more harmonious facial profile, and a stronger appearance of your chin.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon