Is It Ok if I Do This for my Acne?

I got Retin-A .04 and Clindamycin Phosphate for my acne. Since Retin-A is for night use, I can use it at night after washing and drying and waiting a little. BUT the prescription on the clindamycin says to use it at bedtime. So how do I use both at bedtime ? Do i have to use it at bedtime ? can i use it in the middle of the day instead ?

Retin A and Clindamycin Phosphate

+1

Since you already have both products, you can use the Retin A at night and the clindamycin in the morning.  Next time, you could consider the combination products.

Toronto Dermatologist

Clindamycin and Retin-A for Acne

+1

Clindamycin phosphate and tretinoin (the active ingredient in Retin-A Micro) have been shown to counteract each other in any way.  In fact, there are two prescription formulations that actually combine these two ingredients into one gel.  You might consider asking your dermatologist about Veltin or Ziana next time you visit them, as you may be able to use one of these gels that combine clindamycin and tretinoin (though the strength of tretinoin is slightly lower in the combination formulations.)  For now, you may certainly use both the Retin-A and clindamycin in the evening.  I recommend applying them in order from thin to thick - for most formulations of clindamycin, this would mean applying clindamycin before Retin-A.  That said, if you prefer to use clindamycin during the day, that is also fine (clindamycin isn't affected by the sun, like Retin-A can be...)  If you go this route, you should apply clindamycin after cleansing your skin in the morning.

I hope this helps!

Eric Schweiger, MD

Retin A and Clindamycin

+1

You would best apply Clindamycin on first, especially if it is in a liquid form and then Retin A. Presumably the two would be pharmacologically compatible. 
It would be a better idea to use one of two combination products: Ziana or Veltin. This way you would not have to worry about compatibility,  would be paying for one prescription ( or co-pay) rather than two, and it would be easier to apply your medications once and not twice. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist