For VERY Minor Changes, is It Worth It to Go Abroad for Rhinoplasty? (Costa Rica)

I want to get rid of a slight bump on my nose and looking at the average prices available locally (around $6000) compared to Costa Rica, Bolivia, India etc. could save me a couple thousand as well as getting in some vacationing, not to mention that they are performed by the BEST doctors there who have a lot of experience because of a higher volume of patients which to me seems a good thing.

+2

The stark reality is that you do get what you pay for.  The deciding facctor in selecting your Rhinoplasty Surgeon should be their ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.  If you believe bargain basement prices get you that...then proceed...otherwise it's "buyer beware."

Medical tourism is not a wise choice

+2

Having surgery abroad in third world type countries is quite risky. Ultimately, you may pay multiple times what you would have had to originally in order to correct a poor or deforming result. Don't expect much follow-up and local physicians will generally not want to assume someone else's liability. Furthermore, if the results are not what you wanted, you will have virtually no recourse against the operating physician.  

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

What options are available for minimal change rhinoplasty?

+2

Shaving down a hump is not the same as a rhinoplasty.  If you are amenable to doing the procedure under local anesthesia, you likely can find a surgeon in your area with great experience that would do the procedure for around $1000.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a minimal hump, price, location

+2

If the small hump bothers you, consider the rhinoplasty surgery. Reducing a minimal hump is very simple, and your recovery would be brief. This procedure can often be done under local anesthesia.

I have seen some terrible results from rhinoplasties, so choose your plastic surgeon carefully. Repairing a rhinoplasty gone bad is often very difficult and challenging. $6000 sounds reasonable. Whether or not you can vacation at the same time would be my least important consideration. Surgery is serious, and the result will be a lifetime investment in your appearance. If you go to Costa Rica and have a complication, who will you see for correction and/or treatment?

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Surgery out of the country

+1

You may get by with no problems or you could have a disaster if the surgery is performed by an unskilled surgeon in a compromised surgery center.  Buyer beware.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinoplasty Abroad

+1

Having a rhinoplasty abroad is worth it as long as there are no complications or the need for unusual or extensive post op care. Remember, if you're ultimately dissatisfied revision work is always more expensive. Any vacationing should be done prior to your surgery. I see many patients from out of state and out of the country - I'm always worried when they become tourists during recovery.

Go Abroad for Rhinoplasty?

+1

Remember you are not paying the surgeon "just to remove a little bump." You are paying him to do the surgery skillfully and not cause problems, and in your fee is the cost of care if you do have complications. If you go to Costa Rica, be prepared to go back for your post op care as I doubt any local surgeon will take care of another surgeon's problems.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD