Looking for a Midface Lift? Do I Need a Chin Implant Also? (photo)

I am 40 yo, healthy but with facial sagging and aging, I would like a mid face lift. Do i need a chin implant also? I have never liked my profile and always thought my face was too long/thin at the chin or something was wrong with my chin, but I've never been able to put my finger on it.

The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Facelift Works Well For Early Mid-Facial Sagging

+1

The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Lift works well for minimal or early facial sagging of the mid-face.A vector describes a magnitude and direction of force. Aging skin is characterized by a negative downward and inward vector of sagging. To counter this, surgeons traditionally pulled skin upward and outward--i.e. using a positive vector. The key difference between the outcomes of traditional surgical correction and nonsurgical 3D vectoring, both of which lift upwards and outwards, is the Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Lift's additional corrective dimension of ‘forward projection’. This 3D effect is the result of volumizing with the use of injectable agents designed for this purpose, such as Radiesse, Voluma, Restylane SQ, and Stylage XXL.

The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Lift is predicated upon the fact that the face and portions of the neck differ in their degree of mobility. The region directly in front and behind the ears is a fixed, denser, relatively immobile area, in contrast to the mid-cheek region (hence the greater tendency of this region to sag with the passage of time). These anatomical differences are exploited in the Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Lift by making the fixed areas serve as anchoring points for the mobile tissues.  In determining the positive vectors for the mid to lower face, the tissues that require lifting are identified by pulling the skin directly in front of the ears in a direction perpendicular to the area that requires correction. If the pulling results in lifting of the desired tissue, then the vector has been correctly identified and is then marked in accordance with 3D vectoring protocol. A similar approach is used in the region of the angle of the jaw or in back of the ear when dealing with neck laxity.

Once the proper vectors are marked, the volumizing agents are injected in a series of radiating bands that serve as support struts to the skin and that impart the necessary 3D outward projection--the lift--that distinguishes and defines this nonsurgical approach. The high viscosity and elasticity of the volumizing fillers serves to hold and re-support the overlying tissue and restore more youthful contours.

Although volumizing fillers are reabsorbed over time, they do promote new, native collagen synthesis, which may continue to provide structure, firmness and improved skin quality while continuing to lift tissues. A typical Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Lift of the face takes about fifteen minutes to perform. Bruising and swelling tend to be minimal, and most people can return to work or social activities immediately following treatment.

Should chin augmentation be required, this, too, can be accomplished quickly and easily with volumizers. My favorite for this is Restylane SubQ, which provides excellent lift. In the U.S., where the above is not available, I would choose a combination of Radiesse and Perlane L. 

Naturally you should consult with a board certified aesthetic physician who is experienced with this technique.

Midface Lift and Chin Implant

+1

You do not need a midface lift which elevates the tissue under the eyelids. A chin implant and neck lift will improve chin projection and tighten the lax skin under your chin and the jawline.

Best options for early facial aging (30-45)

+1

I would not recommend a chin implant, as your chin projection and volume is fine.  

Volume loss is the hallmark of early facial aging.  I can' t make a full assessment with the photographs provided, but for many patients in your age range I wold recommend volume replacement as the first line of treatment.  This can be done with Sculptra, HA fillers or fat transfer.  You may be a candidate for some liposuction or Ultherapy to treat the lower face neck as well.  I don't think a midface lift is a good option for you.  Your local facial plastic surgeon will make the best recommendations after seeing you in person.

Before your consultation with your doctor, take a few minutes and notice which areas of your face concern you and why.  Explain which aspects of your appearance you want to improve with your doctor, and he will be able to tell you which treatment options will help get you the results you desire.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and midface lift

+1

A chin implant is only placed when there is a recessive chin, to augment a weak  chin profile. The  aging of the mid-face area  occurs by volume loss, which we correct with cheek implants, not a vertical mid face lift.

Looking for a Midface Lift? Do I Need a Chin Implant Also?

+1

Based upon the posted photos I would NOT do a chin implant for you. But always better to obtain IN PERSON evaluations. 

Treatment of early facial aging.

+1

You do not need midface lift or chin implant. Early facial sagging can be tightened with a mini lift and a combination of fillers. Choose a very experienced surgeon and do not get procedures you don't need.

Chin implant candidate?

+1

While it would be possible to give a slight augmentation to your chin, I think that procedure would only give you a subtle change and am not sure if that would make you like your profile more or not.  There does appear to be some fullness under your chin in the neck, which could be improved with liposuction of that area.  It's possible that liposuction of the neck, without a chin implant, could benefit your profile more.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon