Is It Possible for a Man to Be Born with a Big Belly That a Tummy Tuck Cant Fix? (photo)

Can I Do an Endoscopic TT to Flatten Top Part? I had a tummy tuck and hernia repair about 6 weeks ago and my tummy is still no where near flat and this is not swelling, it looks like i have had nothing done except the scaring hip to hip, it was a full tummy tuck. Im beginning to wonder if im just naturally born with a sticking out belly that cant be repaired. I would like to know what kind of scans or imaging i could do or pay for to get a visually of my muscle wall. As i dont know what to look for or ask for.

Bulging belly after tummy tuck

+1

A totally flat belly is usually not obtainable after tummy tuck or liposuction.

If we expect more than what can be accomplished by a procedure we will usually be disappointed after all is said and done.

Weight loss will help to reduce the intra-abdominal fat that can not be removed with liposuction.

Further skin tightening after tummy tuck may be achieved using the Cellulaze Laser or other non-invasive devices.

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment or testing decisions.

Abdominoplasty for men

+1

Thank you for your question.  Men have a real problem in having a flat abdomen after having an abdominoplasty performed on occasion.  Many men have an increased level of abdominal fat, and this is called visceral fat.  As long as this persists, men will have a problem in having a flat abdomen.  The only way to lose this is to reduce the abdominal fat through dieting and increasing metabolic levelsYour Plastic Surgeon may be able to work with you on establishing a protocol that may give you a better result.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Abdominal contouring options

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  There are only a few things that can result the lack of abdominal "flatness ".  Fat inside or outside the abdomen, lax abdominal wall,  excess skin.  At this time i do not see any of these issues being the case.  There appears to be a normal amount of fat inside and outside the abdomen.  I do not see any congenital issues with your abdominal wall or excess skin.  Perhaps liposuction would thin your abdomen a little and provide more definition of the abdomen.  I suspect your abdominal wall is tight and does not need any repair.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck and muscle bulge

+1

There has been reasonable improvement when comparing your pre and post-operative photos. The was certainly a bulge in your lower abdomen which has now been corrected. At 6 weeks, there is still some swelling. It would help to know where your hernia was (?epigastric, ?inguinal).

A residual bulge can be due to intraabdominal fat (which is not removed) or fat within the skin flaps. Your contour could also be improved by some liposuction in your central abdomen over the muscles once your results have had time to settle at about the 6 month mark. This will create a more defined look of your rectus abdominus muscles.

In men, a muscle repair or plication is usually not performed, as the rectus muscles tend to only be separated in women post childbirth or congenital conditions. You could have a CT scan of your abdomen if you are concerned regarding the integrity of your muscles.

However, I would wait for at least another month; remember the entire skin of your belly has been raised off the muscle and pulled down; there is residual swelling and in some people there can be small fluid collections at this stage (seromas) which are not uncommon.  Allow things to settle for a little longer. 

Simone Matousek, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon