Can Anything Be Done for Loss of Taste and Smell After a Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasy which included grafting of the septum, 12 years ago. I immediately noticed a significant loss of taste and smell after the surgery and it never returned. Last year I had a significant cold and I lost more and a month ago I had the flu with stuffy, running nose and I lost more. At this point I have about a 90% loss. I have no expectations of any help being available, but just inquiring anyway.

Loss Of Smell And Taste After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Larra,

After 12 years of a rhinoplasty, I don't think that a substantial solution can be provided.

That being said, it is rare but possible that a loss of gustation and olfaction takes place due to an aggressive rhinoplasty.

I recommend that you consult with an ENT who will examine you probably provide you with a potential solution.

I hope that this helps.

Thank you for your post.

Dr. Sajjadian

Loss of taste and smell after rhinoplasty

+1

I am sorry to hear about your problem.  It is rare for people to permanently lose the sense of smell or taste after rhinoplasty or septoplasty, but it is possible. Unfortunately, there are no surgical options to improve things this long after your surgery.  

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon