For How Long Does a Woman Need to Wear Compression Garment After Breast Liposuction?

Dear Doctors, My uncle is a gynecologist and he has always told me that a woman should not wear a bra constantly. Told me that if a woman constantly wears a bra, the support from the bra will eventually weaken breast ligaments and disturb lymph flow. I know wearing a pressure garment after liposuction helps to decrease swelling but if a woman coninuously wear compression garment all round the clock, won't it do more wrong than good? Should she not let her breast loose at all? Thanks

Garment after Liposuction?

+2

Garments are used after liposuction surgery to help control swelling as well as for patient comfort. Your plastic surgeon will have his/her recommendations as far as length of use of the garment.

Hopefully, when you and trust your care to your plastic surgeon you will forgo advice from uncles, friends, neighbors…

Compression garment use following breast liposuction

+1

If the breasts are more fatty tissue than fibrous breast tissue then liposuction is a good technique to give some degree of reduction in breast size.  For most of these procedures a support garment or compression bra would be worn for 2 - 3 weeks and should have no lasting effect on the soft tissue of your breast.  In the end the result from this procedure is more related to your own skin elasticity and its ability to contract following liposuction

Scarless breast reduction

+1
this is specific operation has been my favorite for many years. I have a many opportunities to watch women with lots of compression for a long time and those using it only for a short time. my personal feelings is this does not make any significant difference in the long run. it is only about what makes you comfortable in the early stages recuperation.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon