For How Long Will I Need to Come in for Follow-up Exams After my Labiaplasty?

After the post-op exams, do I just see my regular primary care doctor? Or do I need to see the labiaplasty surgeon each year for an exam?

Follow up examinations after labiaplasty

+1

Different doctors will recommend different follow up schedules. Most doctors will vary their follow up schedules for patients who live a long way away. In such instances telehealth consultations and/or follow-up with your primary care doctor may be more practical than seeing your surgeon, especially if your post operative course is routine and you have no questions, concerns or problems.

I would not expect that you would have any new problems develop after a year, so it would not be usual for me to recommend follow up visits after that time. Your surgeon may recommend that you return for longer if you have problems or concerns or if you participate in a study of long term outcomes.

I hope this information helps, good luck.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Number of Post Labiaplasty Follow Up Exams

+1

As you can see, each surgeon has his or her own regiment for post operative follow ups.  The answer to your question depends on if you had any complications and also on your particular surgeon's post op regiment. 

If your surgeon is not in the same city as you are, more than likely you will have fewer follow up exams.  Most surgeons feel most comfortable seeing their post operative patients on several occasions to ensure good wound healing and high level of satisfaction for each patient. 

There is no exact number of post operative exams after a labiaplasty. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Postop followup after labiaplasty

+1

I ask my patients to see me in followup 2-3 days after the procedure, then again at 7-10 days, then again at 3-4 weeks then again at 6-8 weeks and finally at 3 months so that I can be sure everything has healed properly. If needed I ask the patients to return at 6-9 months or whenever they may have any concerns.

Laurie Casas, MD

Labiaplasty Follow up

+1

Good question, I usually see my patients within a few days of surgery to make sure there has been no untoward event or complication. If the patient lives locally we then follow up at 3 weeks and at 8 weeks. If the patient lives out of town, we usually follow up with e-mails and photos if necessary. In general, labia plasty operations tend to heal quickly and well with very few complications. Good luck.

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Labiaplasty follow up

+1

Typically, I see the patient back within a week after surgery and then anywhere from 2 -4 weeks following that.  I frequently have out of town patients that need to return after the initial post-op visit so in their case we often do follow ups via phone and email photos until they may get a chance to return again.  The reason we can be relatively loose on follow up visits after labiaplasty is that the tissue is so robust with blood supply and healing potential that it is very rare for a complication to arise following the initial post-op visit, provided the patients adheres to all the post-op recommendations.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Visits after labiaplasty

+1

For my patients, 2-3 postoperative visits is the norm.  The first 1-2 visits are at one and three weeks to make sure there has been no significant bleeding or any signs of infection. After that, a visit at 6-8 weeks is good to assess the results.  Typically, all is healed at 6-8 weeks after the procedure.

This is for the usual recovery.  Although this is a safe and straightforward procedure, you may need more visits if you happened to have a complication.

Speak with your doctor and ask what his or her recommendations are.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Labia Reduction Followup?

+1

I generally follow post operative labia minora patients for the first  3 to 6 months. At this point, if the patient is doing well, they no longer need to follow-up with me unless there are any questions or concerns. These patients are generally doing very well (and have busy lives) so  I don't  routinely ask for follow-up every year.

Labiaplasty check-ups

+1

I see my labiaplasty patients for a few months on average. Some stop following up earlier as they are comfortable or live father away. I only follow them regarding their labiaplasty surgery not their other care of course.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon