Which works best for lines around the mouth – Restylane or Juvederm?

What is the best and lasts the longest-restalyne or juvederm? And how much does it cost?

+1
Juvederm and Restylane are both FDA approved hyaluronic acid fillers, The difference in these two fillers is the concentration, thickness, and the company made by each one. I suggest you consult with your medical provider and see what filler he/she recommends 

Restylane and Juvederm

+1
There are many studies out there that show that one lasts longer than the other, and then others that refute those claim, so it depends which study you are reading and if you are talking about Juvederm Ultra or Ultra Plus.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane versus Juvederm around the mouth

+1
The lines around the mouth consist of lip lines, fine lines around the mouth from smoking, age, and sun, and the nasolabial (or smile lines), and oral commisures.  It depends on how deep your line are and which areas around the mouth you are referring to.  I often use a combination of fillers depending on the location and depth of the wrinkle/line.  Belotero works best for very fine lines in this location around the mouth.  The most important thing is to find an experienced board certified Dermatologist to have the best cosmetic result.

Michele S. Green, MD

Lip Line Treatment

+1
Currently I find that Belotero works best for lines around the mouth. Belotero is specifically designed to integrate into your skin and mold to your facial contours giving you immediate smooth and natural results that can last up to 9 months. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if this filler will work for your concerns.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Perioral Rejuvenation May Require Neuromodulators (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin), Injectable Volumizers &/or Fillers

+1
The answer to the question is not as simple as it may seem on the surface. It presumes that the aesthetic problems around the mouth only require treatment with a filler and that it is simply a matter of choosing between two of the most commonly known fillers, i.e. Juvederm and Restylane and making a cost comparision between treating physicians.

Without knowing the specifics or at least a photo to examine, it is impossible to determine which therapy(ies) are appropriate in this situation.

In general terms, however, the mouth unit, is an extremely important aesthetic region of the face, probably second only to the eye unit in its contribution to our overall look and youthful appearance. The mouth unit consists of the red lips themselves, and the white areas around them, which include the philtrum, Cupid's Bow, and the vertical  "lipstick bleeding" lines  (aka "smoker's" lines) and the droopy, so-called "marionette" lines at the angles of the mouth.

If in this case, the "lines around the mouth" referred to here are the vertical lipstick bleeding lines, then a combination of a neuromodulator (such as Botox) to diminish the muscular contribution to their formation and a filler, such as Belotero Balance instilled very superficially within the lines themselves to raise and straighten them would be the most appropriate approach. Belotero Balance has not been associated with the bluish skin discoloration that can sometimes be seen when either Restylane or Juvederm when injected superficially. The combination of neuromodulator and filler has been shown to sometimes significantly increase the longevity of the cosmetic result.

If on the other hand, the marionette lines at the corners of the mouth are the problem, neither Restylane nor Juvederm, both fillers best reserved for treating more shallow lines and wrinkles, would be appropriate. More robust volumizing fillers, would be more appropriate. Radiesse, a calcium-based product or Voluma, make better choices, or even Perlane L, a member of the Restylane family of products known for its lifting capacity and volumizing capabilities. 

The point is that there is no substitute for consultation with a board certified aethetic core physician with extensive experience with all available modalities who can tailor a treatment plan specifically for you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Restylane or Juvederm for wrinkles around the mouth

+1
Both Restylane and Juvederm are hylauronic acid fillers which provide temporary improvement of folds and wrinkles. These are very similar both in terms of results and costs, which may range from approximately $600 to $1000. However, some patients and cosmetic surgeons have a preference for one over the other. There isn't a "best" filler". Often wrinkles around the mouth will require combination with fillers, resurfacing with lasers/peels, and surgery. 

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler for vertical lip lines

+1
Any hyaluronic acid filler will do great in the upper lip lines. Technique of the injector, however, is very important because the vertical lip lines are very difficult to soften. I use a combination of filler (Juvederm, Restylane, or Belotero), botulinum toxin, and laser (I.e. Fractionated Co2). In my experience, this can give long lasting results. I choose Juvederm if I plan on filling the pink portion of the lip as well, and Restylane or Belotero if I don't plan on filling the pink portion.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Which filler best around mouth

+1
I use both Juvederm and Restylane with great success around the mouth. I find Juvederm to be a little bit softer, so in the lip I prefer Juvederm, but have used both with great results. The duration around the mouth is 6-9 months in many cases, although shorter or longer sometimes. Cost depends on how much filler is required and the skills and training of the injector. Make sure to trust your health and beauty only to professionals and experts such as dermatologists and plastic surgeons. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Which works best around the Mouth- Restylane or Juvederm

+1
 Please be ware that there is a big difference between treating lips and treating the area around the lips.

1.1 Lips -This is the only place in the face where I will consider even remotely using Juvedrem because its softness and elasticity. In general I find Restylane to be a superior product.

2. Vertical wrinkles of the upper lip:
Depending on depth: 
2-1. Very pronounced - pretreat with very low dose Botulinum toxin (preferably Dysport) followed by Restylane a week later. The above can be combined with t with fractional non ablative laser/factional ablative laser treatment especially in sun damaged skin.
2-2.Superficial- pretreat with very low dose Dypsort  followed by Belotereo.

3. Deepened Nas-Labial folds and marionette  lines:
Retylane and Perlane will give you better and longer lasting results than any of the Juvederm preparations with less side affects.
DO NOT consider Juvederm under any circumstances for treatment of the area of the upper cheek  bones and around the eyes especial around the lower eyelid. Juvederm is very hydrophilic(attracts water) as it broken down in the tissue. There is very high chance for prolonged lower eyelid swelling which is difficult to treat.
Hope this will assist your decision process.

Good Luck

David Evdokimow MD

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Lip rejuvenation

+1
Lip lines and creases can be treated with either Restylane or Juvederm. My personal preference is for Juvederm as it is more concentrated and crosslinked. It tends to behave like a stress ball. When squeezed it flattens and when the pressure is released it returns to its original shape. This physical property is a big plus in the mouth area where there is a lot of movement.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon