How Likely is It for Fluid to Reaccumulate a Second Time After Breast Implant Surgery?

I'm in my fifth day of post op for breast implants, saline. Yesterday my right side was much higher, had more projection compared to the left so I had to go back for another procedure. My Dr removed the implant, cleaned out the fluid, and instead of the surgical bra he wrapped me in an ACE bandage, very tightly!!! Today my breasts are sore, hard, and appear to have projection. Could it be fluid that is making them so tight and firm?

Was seroma, now normal swelling

+1

What you had initially was a seroma or fluid pocket.  Now it sounds like you are experiencing normal swelling that can last anywhere from 1-3 months.

Bismarck Plastic Surgeon

Severe swelling after a breast augmentation

+1

Because your breasts are swollen, I would recommend calling your plastic surgeon so that he/she sees you very soon to make sure you don't need to have the fluid drained.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Most likely swelling (edema)

+1

It's hard to tell exactly what is going on without more information or being able to examine you.  What I can tell you is that the most common cause of breasts feeling "hard" after surgery is swelling or edema.  Swelling usually starts to resolve on day #2 or #3 and, thereafter, the breasts gradually feel softer.  Generally speaking a problem (such as bleeding or fluid in the implant pocket) will show up as one breast looking and feeling very different than the other.  So, if that is not the case, and both breasts look basically the same, things are probably all right.  Of course, I would recommend you discuss any concerns with your surgeon.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation issues

+1

It is difficult to say what is going on without having been involved in your surgery.  Did you have a blood collection?  If you have concerns talk with your surgeon to get the best information.