Are Fillers Or Botox Best for Fine Lines Under the Eyes?

I have little fine lines under my eyes as well as hereditary dark circles. I was tod fillers were the best option for me, I'm worried that the filer may move or I won't get that 'line free' look I would like. I'm only 20 but the lines are due to smiling, and naturally I don't want to stop doing that!

Fillers & Botox

+1

It has been my experience that a combination of fillers, Botox, and skin care is the best option. Restylane and Belatero are the best fillers for under the eyes. The eye cream that I recommend is by Obagi ZO Olluminate Intense eye repair.

Fine wrinkles under the eyes can be treated with lasers.

+1

Botox is a great treatment for wrinkles around the eyes, sometimes referred to as crow’s feet, but does little to improve wrinkles underneath the eyes. A tiny bit of Botox can be used in the middle of the lower eye to open the eye slightly wider.  Traditional dermal fillers are great at improving under eye grooves or dark circles, but also do little to improve fine wrinkles under the eye. Laser treatments, such as carbon dioxide resurfacing, or Ematrix (sublative rejuvenation) are two effective alternatives for under eye wrinkles.

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Are Fillers or Botox Best for Fine Lines Under the Eyes?

+1

Fine lines under the eyes are due to repeated muscular action of both muscles around the eye as well as the cheek,  in addition to thinning of the skin that comes with age. Botox can help reduce the appearance of fine lines by relaxing the muscles around the eye giving a smoother appearance. Fillers can improve hollowness under the eyes also known as a "tear trough". If wrinkles are really deep a resurfacing procedure such as Fraxel may be recommended for maximum improvement.

Dr. Lori Stetler

Lori Stetler, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Fine Lines Under the Eyes

+1

Generally,when addressing rejuvenation around the eye, botox is used to treat the wrinkles caused by muscle contraction (ie crows feet) and fillers are used to fill in the tear trough region (hollowing beneath the eyes). With respect to fine lines and wrinkles of the lower eyelids, focusing on good skin care is paramount. Products such as Retin-A and a good eye cream can give very nice aesthetic improvements. For a more invasive option, laser resurfacing will tighten the skin to achieve wrinkle reduction.

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Fine Lines Under the Eyes

+1

The goal with these fine lines which form as a result of smiling is improvement not complete correction.  Some individuals, due to the way the muscles of the face contract, form fine lines under their eyes.  As in your case, these are not due to aging.  I find that what often gives an improvement is a very small amount of Botox placed under the eye in the lower eyelids.  This has two subtle effects: it slightly improves the formation of these lines when smiling and it ‘opens’ the eyes to a degree.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox best for fine lines around the eye

+1

For treatment of fine lines around the eye, a diluted Botox works best in small amounts. However, it is natural to have some lines when you smile.  At the age of 20 I would focus on skin care with eye creams that can help to hydrate the skin in that area.  I would reserve Botox for later in life and with some preventative skin care you may not need it as soon as you think.  Keep smiling!

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are fillers or Botox best for fine lines under the eyes?

+1

Photos would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice. In general, an appropriate skincare regimen, resurfacing procedures such as peels and lasers, and finally Botox or Dysport injections can address fine wrinkles under the eyes. I would recommend an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. They will be able to assess your eyes in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

I would say neither.  Fillers may be useful for the tear trough, and botox can be used for the right anatomy and in the rights for obtaining a "wider eye."  Depending on the degree of wrinkling and your skin type, you could be a candidate for fractional Co2 resurfacing.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Fine lines under eyes

+1

First, I would say that I doubt at 20 you need anything done. But let's assume you have these lines to be treated, fillers do not fill in the very fine lines along most lower lids. They are better to fill depressions like the tear trough. Botox can be used because presumably they are from muscel, but if along the lower eyelid margin, treatment may lead to an ectoprion or sclearl show.  Best to be seen in person.  Retin-A can help as can laser treatments sometimes.

Lines under eyes

+1

Botox would be the best choice as Botox decreases muscle movement, but does not completely remove all movement under the eyes. Have your squint muscles and under eyes injected and wait 2 weeks for the results.

Fillers can go lumpy. Ablative laser such as Pearl Fusion would also help.

David Ellis MD FRCSC Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon at Art of Facial Surgery

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon