For Eyelid Surgery is It Better to Go to a Dr Who is a Member of ASOPRS to Be Certain of Good Results?

Been researching eyelid surgery for years. I'm sure I have festoons and I do have very bad hooded eyes. I've read all the horror stories which is why I'm hesitant to pic a dr, and afraid becasue of the possible festoon problem, whether or not a regular qualified PS is enough or the best choice to address this since each doctor approaches this problem differently and not sure which is best or correct way? I'm 55 live in SF & most drs listed near r reg PS & I Can't afford to travel further away.

Who to go to for eyelid surgery

+1

It is best to got to someone who is qualified and experienced in this work. It maybe someone from ASPS, AAFPRS, ASOPS, etc. Get referrals from several sources, friends, etc. and see more than one in consultation.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loaded question...

+1

This is a loaded question that will certainly get blood pressures rising in surgeons. The truth of the matter is that when you evaluated a specific surgeon, you should look at the depth of their experience and the their specific results. So there are Oculoplastics and Facial Plastis and General Plastics surgeons that will give you excellent results.

But in general, ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeons have a wider breadth of training and more experience in cosmetic and functional eyelid surgery as that is the focus of their 2 year fellowship, and their subsequent practice.

It is more important to be comfortable with your surgeon's experience specifically. Hope this helps.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon to do your eyes

+1

There are many good plastic surgeons, facial ENT surgeons, and oculoplastic surgeons that can probably help you.  Good luck in your search!

Credentials for Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)

+1

There are three groups with the proper training to do blepharoplasty successfully and safely. They are the Oculoplastic Surgeons you mentioned, American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) certified Plastic Surgeons, and Facial Plastic Surgeons, mainly ENT trained. Each can be excellent or not as good as desired. Check for those qualifications first. Then check for what they generally do. Make sure they concentrate on cosmetic improvement of the eyelids and have pictures and experience to share with you. Remember that some ASOPRS members may concentrate on correcting other eyelid problems, just as a Facial Plastic Surgeon may concentrate on the nose or a Plastic Surgeon may concentrate on the breast or some other area. These credentials are an important first step, but must be carried further to get the assurances you seek.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

There is no question that ASOPRS fellows are the most extensively trained eyelid surgeons, period.

+1

American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and ACCGME accredited oculoplastic fellowships maintain highly rigorous and extensive training requirements.  Only board certified or board eligible ophthalmologists are admitted to these 2 year fellowships.  The extent of eyelid surgery training for facial plastic surgeons and general plastic surgeons is embarrassingly thin by comparison.  Don't be influenced by general plastic surgeons who feel their "turf" is threatened because they perceive that subspecialty surgeons are "eating their lunch."  Feeling you have the best training and pounding your chest does not make it so.  Competition among specialties is beneficial to consumers because it has the effect of raising the standards of care.  Unfortunately, for consumers, what credential your surgeon has is only part of the story.  Good people are where you find them.  

As a consumer, it is basically impossible to read a resume and determine that a surgeon is right for you.  A particular training, no matter how extensive, may or may not translate into the right surgeon.  Are there facial plastic surgeons and general plastic surgeons who do very good cosmetic eyelid surgery, absolutely.  Are there fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon who really don't provide cosmetic eyelid surgery-absolutely.  You benefit when a surgeon has extensive credentials because it increases the likelihood that they have the skills, training, judgment and experience to perform your surgery with a minimum of issues.  However, surgeons can't hide behind these credentials and suggest to the public that because of the credential, they will be better than a surgeon with equivalent training.  For example who is better a hand fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon or a hand fellowship trained general plastic surgeon?  The point being the credential is of course important but it is simply not the end of the story.

How do you deal with this situation?  Ask questions, interview surgeons, talk to others, and study websites.  Don't assume that the surgeon you see on tv or the surgeon who did your best friend's breast surgery or rhinoplasty will necessarily be the right eyelid surgeon for you. 

Who has the expertise to do eyelid surgery?

+1

There is an attempt to relabel board certified plastic surgeons as general plastic surgeons as part of a marketing effort on the part of certain doctors who want to pretend they have a unique expertise in an area.  Here are some facts to consider.  Board certified plastic surgeons undergo an extensive training that is considerably longer than the subspecialty fellowships that occur in other fields.  Many of the advanced techniques that are currently utilized in eyelid surgery were developed by plastic surgeons.  This will become immediately apparent if you have sufficient background knowledge and do a detailed literature search.

I have friends from all three areas (plastic, oculoplastic, and facial plastic) who do beautiful work in the eyelids.  Find someone who has top level training, affiliation with a leading hospital in your area, extensive experience, and a true passion for this delicate and ever-fascinating area.

John Q. Cook, MD

The Choices

+1

If you are concerned about a surgeon's experience, ask for photos and details of that practice.  Expertise in Facial Surgery is found in several specialties!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Festoons and eyelid surgery

+1

Get at least 3 opinions  from physicians of any cosmetic specialty who have done your type of eyelid. You should view photographic  results of such cases.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Plastic, Facial Plastic, and Oculoplastic surgeons all have training in correcting your problem. You just want to be sure the surgeon you choose is skillful and experienced. I have seen good and bad results from all of the above. It is not the degree the doctor holds but his skill, experience, and artistic vision that will get the results you need.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

ASOPRS vs. FACIAL PLASTICS vs. General Plastic Surgeons

+1

thank you for your question,

The reality is that you need to go to a surgeon who has clear evidence that they have dealt with your particular issue on a regular basis.  Oculoplastic surgeons are certainly the end of the road for complex eyelid issues whether they be reconstructive and functional or strictly cosmetic. I can tell you as both an Oculoplastic surgeon and Facial plastic surgeon that if there is an issue with your surgery you will likely be referred on to and Oculoplastic surgeon or Facial plastic surgeon such as myself. In the end surgeons who have been trained in any of these three arenas are well qualified to perform your surgery. If you have true festoons then maybe it would be best that you see and Oculoplastic surgeon of which there are more than a few in San Francisco.  Again, just be sure that surgeon you choose makes you feel comfortable, assures you that they will deal with any issues you may have after surgery ( there is no such thing as risk-free surgery with any type of plastic surgeon), and they have a track record of operating on patients such as yourself.  

Hope that was helpful and best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon