What to Do for Under Eye Wrinkles/tired Looking Eyes for Young Female? (photo)

Hello, I am 23 years old and have had bags under my eyes all my life no matter how much sleep I get. Recently in the last year, I've noticed major under eye wrinkles as well. I suspect this is probably from the sun. I started throwing a retinol cream into my nightly regime plus I use moisturizer with sunscreen everyday. However, I have not seen any results! I know it may seem drastic to get fillers but would they help? Let me know what you think... attached two pics

Under eye/lower eyelid wrinkles (in a young female face)

+1

Do not do anything aggressive. Based on the photos you have provided, it appears you have two separate but closely related features- 1) a "tear trough" (a valley between the lower eyelid soft tissue and the cheek mound), and 2) fine lines in the skin of the lower lid accentuated by smiling.  At the very least, avoid prolonged sun exposure, wear sunglasses, and hydrate with sunblock (not sunscreen) SPF 15 or greater, as you are already doing.  Applying nightly retinoic acid is beneficial, but what is the strength, and for how long have you done it?  That is a gradual process that is often not noticeable unless monthly photos are placed side-by-side.  Next level up to choose from would be a filler (Juvederm or Restylane) injected to the tear trough, and small amounts of Botox for the lower lid wrinkles.  I would advise against something like a blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) for at least another 10 years.

Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to Do for Under Eye Wrinkles/tired Looking Eyes for Young Female?

+1

Seriously, you don't need to do anything more than apply a good moisturizer to the area and stay out of the sun.  

23 year old with bags under her eyes

+1

Becuase of your age I feel that this is primarily a hereditary problem with a environmental component.   The protruding fat pads beneath your eyes are causing the problem however other factors should be reviewed before attempting treatment:

• Are you prone to allergies(allergies can cause excess swelling in the lower lid)
  • Is your moisturizer a water or oil based product and are you over using it
  • Is this problem more prevelant during your cycle

Fillers would certainly be helpful but I would not recommend any aggressive ablative laser procedure at your age.  My recommendations would be as follows:

• use of a lighter moisturizer beneath your eyes and less often(this may in fact be contributing to your problem)
  • use a toner after cleansing twice per day
  • utilize a skin firming serum twice per day. 
  • Anticipate this problem worsening during your cycle 

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for tear trough

+1

The small indentation between your eyelid and cheek [tear trough] can be addressed nicely with fillers [Restylane]. Your "crinkly" eyelid skin can be improved with a chemical peel, or a milder laser CO2 resurfacing [Erbium/CO2 combination]

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear Trough and Wrinkles

+1

You have two separate issues.

1. Tear trough is the line between lower lid and cheek. You can get that filled in with a hyaluronic acid like Juvederm or Restylane.

2. For wrinkles you can get a chemical peel or a laser

You are doing the right thing by using Retinol. Please remember that Retinol creams should not be used if you are pregnant as it can cause birth defects.

Use regular sunscreen (every day) on lower eyelids and crows feet and use high quality dark sunglasses whenever outside.

Regards

Dr J

Disclaimer:

This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tired Eyes

+1

A chemical of laser peel with facial fillers will rejuvenate your orbital area in a nice way.  There are many fillers and peels to choose from!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon