What Would You Recommend For My Asian Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Dear Doctor Greetings I have been thinking of rhinoplasty for some time. I have a typical asian nose. Wide nostrils, thick skin, bulbous nose, but have a good bridge. I want my nose to look like that of my siblings, however, I am not sure if that is achievable with my bulbous nose. Below are the pictures of my nose at various angle. Would you suggest me reducing the alar region or just reshaping the nose tip? Can I get the indian nose without reducing the alar region? I will be happy to hear.

Creating refinement during Asian rhinoplasty

+1

You mention a critical factor in determining the potential success of your rhinoplasty - your thick skin.  Given the thickness of your skin, simply narrowing your ala or narrowing your tip cartilage will not give you significant refinement of your nasal tip.  In fact, narrowing your ala without increasing the projection of the tip of your nose will likely make it appear even more bulbous.  However, by projecting your tip and pushing it further away from your face, a signficant amount of narrowing and refinement of your tip can be achieved.

Asian rhinoplasty for thick bulbous nose

+1

Thick bulbous noses are challenging to correct but can be improved with some debulking of the excessive soft tissue at the tip combined with cartilage grafting taken from your nose septum (in between the two nostrils).  the base of the nose (alar wings) may be reduced to narrow the base so they are in line with the inner corners of the eyes to balance our your facial proportions.

C. Carson Huynh, MD, DMD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mainly tip work

+1

It would be helpful to see your siblings' noses in order to see what your goals of surgery are. The nostrils do not appear to be particularly wide and I believe that most of your benefit would come from tip work. It may require some aggressive grafting of the tip area in order to counteract the thick tip skin. 

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

What Would You Recommend For My Asian Rhinoplasty?

+1

While Rhinoplasty can thin the nasal bones, reduce the dorsal hump and thin the nasal tip....the thick skin will limit the aesthetic appearance of the tip a bit IMHO.  This isn't a reason, not to have a Rhinoplasty IMO but just something for you to think about and understand.  The most important factor is that the Rhinoplasty Surgeon understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.

Ethnic - African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

You have typical characteristics of what we call an ethnic platyrhine nose. The tip of your nose is thick due to thick skin and fibrofatty tissue under it. To refine your tip you need to have the tip skin thinned and a strong cartilage graft under the tip skin. The width of the nostrils can also be narrowed. Please visit my website below to see many before and afters of Ethnic and Afro-Asian noses.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Asian rhinoplasty.

+1

All of the things you mentioned can be done without doing the bridge. For 35 years of doing Asian noses I have found there are many types of Asian noses and you need to discuss exactly what YOU like with your surgeon to get the nose you want.

Asian Rhinoplasty Options

+1

Unfortunately, it is difficult to appreciate you nose without reference to your face and thus more specific suggestions would need to be done im person. However, you do have a bulbous tip with thick skin and a broad, wide nasal shape - characteristic of many Asian noses. This would likely require a number of techniques to help thin and re-define the nose. See a board certified surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty and also understands the ethnic variations in the Asian ideal.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD