How Likely is It for Breasts to Grow Back After a Reduction?

Hello! I am 21 years old about 115 lbs and healthy. I just had my breast reduction done in May and went from a 32 DD to about a 32 C/B. I am wondering what the chances are that my breasts will grow back. Does it depend on age and diet? Is there something I can do besides maintain a healthy diet and exercise to ensure my breasts will not grow back?

Breast Reduction

+2

Increase in breast size is usually rare as long as a stable weight is maintained. Your age may put you at increased risks for changes in breast shape after reduction.  Bearing children will change breast shape in addition to changes in weight.

Dr. ES

It is very unlikely for breasts to grow back after reduction.

+1

Is there is no weight gain it is almost impossible for breast to go back after reduction. Weight gain after reduction may result in larger breasts if the body preferentially deposits fat in that area.

Breast reduction and growth after surgery

+1

If you are of adult size and are no longer growing ( which at 21 I am sure you are) it is unlikely your breasts will grow anymore. They will grow if you gain weight and may sag as you get older and/or have kids.

Re-growth of breast tissue following breast reduction surgery

+1

This is a good question concerning enlargement of the breast following breast reduction surgery.  This is a possibility if there is still some degree of hormonal stimulation on the remaining breast tissue.  It can happen but is not common.  On rare occasions we perform breast reductions on 15 or 16 year old girls who have very large breasts.  These are the women who are most at risk for regrowth.  

Breast Regrowth after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure;  this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. There is no way to predict exactly what the likelihood of breast “regrowth” will be after breast reduction surgery.  I think that you have pointed out the main thing that you can control to help ensure that the breasts do not change in size significantly in the future. Maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regimen (long term stable weight, without significant fluctuation),  including during pregnancy, will be crucial.