How Old Do I Have to Be for a Breast Reduction?

I am 14 i weight about 135 ish . I am 5'2 i wear a 36 DD .I am extremely self conscious . I feel more comfortable in sports bra's ,but when i have to wear a normal bra i wear a sports bra over or a tee-shirt with a built in bra. I sometimes get marks on my shoulders. I am a cheerleader .In gym and Jrotc i fail the running tests because of my boobs even while wearing a sports bra . My mom wore a 36 DD before she got a reduction . my grandmother wears a G . i dont want these anymore.

Breast Reduction in Teens

+2

If your primary care physician provides documentation and treatment of your symptoms arising from you breast hypertrophy, you should be able to have insurance pay for breast reduction surgery. Your growth in both stature and breast size should be stable. If your parents agree with your concerns, then you could be evaluated by a plastic surgeon for surgical treatment. Your surgeon will go over the pros and cons of having breast reduction surgery at a young age.
Thank you for your question and best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

How Old do I Had to be to Undergo Breast Reduction?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced because of your disproportionately large breasts.
It is possible that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
It will  probably be in your best interests to undergo breast reduction surgery  in a few years when your breasts have reached a stable state. However, it is not too early at this point to learn more about breast reduction surgery ( pros and cons).
As you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you  also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I'm  hopeful that you have the support of your family as you do your research and preparation for the breast reduction procedure.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm