For Blephoplasty, Which Would Be More Competent...a Oculoplastic Surgeon or a Regular Plastic Surgeon??

Which surgeon is best for blepharoplasty?

+1

Unfortunately, like many questions in aesthetic medicine, there is no right answer.  The reason is that it depends upon the exact problem.  Plastic surgeons and oculoplastic surgeons are trained differently and therefore their skill sets differ.  As a general rule; if you need a straightforward blepharoplasty, either specialty is fine and you will not get better results by choosing one over the other. If you have some complexity to the eyelid surgery, an oculoplastic surgeon is better.  If you need something other than eyelid surgery, such as a brow lift, than a plastic surgeon is better.  Ideally, you should choose someone that wants the best result for you.  I routinely advise patients to go to a different specialist if I feel they have more expertise in correcting a particular problem.  No surgeon is an expert on everything , so beware one that tells you they can handle every problem.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Oculoplastic surgeon vs a regular plastic surgeon...

+1

The most important thing to look at among qualified surgeons would be their specific experience with the exact procedure you desire.  An oculoplastic surgeon specializes in plastic surgery of the eye and eyelids.  Some of these surgeons may perform a lot of reconstructive procedures, but not many cosmetic procedures, or vice versa.  A specific general plastic surgeon may specialize in body surgery, but may not do very many eyelids.  A facial plastic surgeon may perform a lot of eyelid surgery.  These are the types of things to look for when scheduling a consultation because all of the above surgeons can be extremely competent in blepharoplasty surgery.  Be sure to see a lot of pictures and get a feel for the surgeon's experience. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Oculoplastic Surgeon or a Regular Plastic Surgeon could be qualified

+1

You will find qualified surgeons of both specialties (and sometimes not so qualified). Consult with 3 - 4 surgeons in your area to find the one that best meets your needs. Ensure the surgeon not only has the experience and expertise, but the understanding of your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Oculoplastic Surgeon vs General Plastic Surgeon for Eyelid Surgery

+1

Great question! Eye plastic surgery (Oculoplastic) training is specialized compared to general plastic surgery. This extra focused training as a specialist serves as the foundation for expertise in Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery. As an Oculofacial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon in New York, super-specializing in the eyes, I have spent much more time than a general plastic surgeon on advanced eye plastic surgery and have spent many years instructing other eye surgeons on the topic. A second level of expertise is based upon types of experience (training pursued after residency, the number of years spent during and after formal training on specific types of procedures, teaching others his craft, before and after photos to show). This video and link below is based on an article I wrote to help prospective patients make a better decision when choosing their cosmetic surgeon for blepharoplasty or any surgery for that matter. Hope this helps!

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Experience matters most.

+1

Oculoplastic surgeons usually limit their practice to plastic surgery of the eyes and face. Blepharoplasty is far and away the most common surgery an Oculoplastic surgeon performs, usually over a 100 per year.

General plastic surgeons usually do not limit their practice to only one part of the body. They do breast augmentation, tummy tucks, liposuction, as well as facial plastic surgery.

So on average, an Oculoplastics surgeon is likely more experienced with blepharoplasty than a General plastic surgeon. Having said that,some General Plastic Surgeons colleagues  do good eyelid work as well.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon