Will Foot Surgery w/ Local Anesthesia Ruin Hair Transplant?

I had hair transplant surgery in July of 2010. I will be having foot surgery with local anesthesia in June of 2011. Will this ruin my hair transplant?

Local anesthesia effect Hair Transplant?

+1

Occasionally general anesthesia can be associated with secondary hair loss on the scalp.  This is relatively rare, however, in association with general anesthesia.  I have never heard of local anesthesia at a site other than the scalp causing hair loss.  However, any injections of any type in the scalp can damage hair follicles. 

Hair Transplant Grafts are Fairly Hardy

+1

There really should be no concern to have other procedures done under Local Anesthesia after you have healed from a Hair Transplant. There may be validity to concern from longer, more serious surgeries that require long periods of General Anesthesia, as it would pose more of a stress on the heart and circulation/blood flow. Unless a Local Anesthesia procedure is actually being performed on your scalp, your grafts should be just fine.

Manu Gujrati, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant & Foot Surgery

+1

Hi, there is no problem with having a hair transplant and a foot surgery a year later. It should not affect the results of the hair transplant. Dr Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Will Foot Surgery Ruin Hair Transplants

+1

Neither foot surgery or local anesthesia will have any effect on the success of your hair transplants, whether it is 1 month or 1 year between operations.

No interaction with hair transplant

+1

There is no known connection between hair transplant and surgery 1 year later on another part of the body.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplantation and foot surgery 1 year later.

+1

Hair transplantation and foot surgery 1 year later are not a problem since there is no connection between the two.

+1

I see this as a very unusual concern that really has no relationship. From MIAMI Dr. darryl j. blinski

+1

Regarding: "Will Foot Surgery w/ Local Anesthesia Ruin Hair Transplant?
I had hair transplant surgery in July of 2010. I will be having foot surgery with local anesthesia in June of 2011. Will this ruin my hair transplant
?"

Not quite sure WHY you would connect the effect of a 4 month operation on one end of the body to that on the other side. We DO know that keeping the head resting on a stiff cushion for a long period of time MAY result in a fall in circulation and apical alopecia (loss of hair). Your surgery will not last long enough, all head rests are made of either a donut of foam or jelly and anesthesiologist are very aware of this old complications. Lastly, you will be able to turn your head side to side so I am not sure why you are worried about your hair (instead of your foot).

Dr. Peter Aldea