Too Much? (Follow Up ?)

"Keep your hands away... do not press..." - Well, today (4/11/13) I had to go to the dentist for a tooth ache (front bottom) and found out I need to have a root canal asap (Monday 4/15/13). They had to clean my gums so were pressing and pulling on my lips. How much will this effect the the healing/outcome? What about the root canal Monday? ~ EeeK!

Just had lip filler and need to have a dental procedure ASAP

+2

Well, you definitely need to have your dental issues addressed. Please tell your dentist about your recent lip filler. Hopefully, manipulation of your lips won't disturb the filler but it will almost certainly create additional swelling. You will want to have ice ready at home to minimize any potential swelling and bruising. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dental work after fillers

+2

Well, this is one of those unfortunate situations after fillers because yes, we do ask that you not press on the area. However, when dental work is mandatory, it just is, and you're going to have to do it. Because you are already very swollen, I would suspect your dental work could make that swelling worse too. But it is what it is. You can remind your dentist and dental assistant that you had fillers done very recently so they can try to avoid pressing hard on your lips, but in reality, they will need to do what they need to do to address your dental issues. 

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Dental work after placement of fillers in lips

+1

Sorry to hear about the root canal.  Depending on the extent your dentist has to stretch your mouth open, you may lose some placement of the fillers in your lips.  Talk to him/her about your fillers and they can certainly attempt to  minimize any undue and unnecessary stretching of your lips. You won't lose it all, but be prepared for some loss.  But as my mom use to tell us when events all occur at the same time:   First things first.   A bit of touch up after the canal is done is not a big deal.  

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Dental work after Lip filler

+1

Dental work should not interfere with the filler placed along the borders of the lips.  

Too Much Juvederm in Lips...and Now a Root Canal?

+1

Hi Tiff,

Don't worry about having your root canal.  The pressing on your lips will not hurt the healing of your lips from the excessive Juvederm that you recieved.  I would give your lips a month to settle before considering any injections to dissolve excess Juvederm.  With patience your lips should come down over time.  Good luck with your root canal and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD