Can I Go to A Different Surgeon or Follow Ups/Post Surgery Complications If I Get My Surgery Out of the Country?

I'm going to santo domingo to get a full tummy tuck with muscle repair, liposuction on upper and lower back, lipo on arms and bbl with fatgrafting....yes its a lot i'm planning on staying for 20 days then coming back to boston. my fear is seroma; will another surgeon help me if i need fluid to be drained?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Does medical tourism make sense.

+1

Having your surgery performed in a country we do not live is generally called medical tourism.  The appeal is that in some cases the procedures themselves can be less expensive because the standard of Medical Care may not be as strict outside of the United States.

The problem is that once you get home you do not have the benefit of your surgeons knowledge and expertise to treat you through the postoperative process and take care of any problems should they arise.

While in the short run it may save you money, if you do develop a complication or have a problem it can be far more expensive to take care of here in the United States.

If you do have a problem you certainly may be able to find a surgeon that will help you here in United States but the cost for treating a complication may vary.

I would strongly recommend you have your surgery performed by a Physician in your region who will be there for you if you have any postoperative concerns are issues.  I think it just makes better common sense.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.atcosmetics.com/abdominoplasty/index.html

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Surgery in a different country

+1

I would advise that you proceed cautiously.  It would be very difficult for a different surgeon to treat you if you had complications from a procedure done in another country.  Medical standards vary greatly between countries and it could be difficult for a surgeon in the U.S. to determine what exactly was done by another doctor.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery in a foreign country

+1

You are going to find it very difficult to find someone to manage any post-operative complications from surgery.  If you do have any problems, it might cost you a lot of money.  Therefore, I would highly recommend going to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in the U.S.

Web reference: http://www.baltimoreplasticsurgery.com/Procedures_TummyTuck_865369.aspx

Medical tourism

+1

Funny you should ask this question, I just returned from the hospital after removing a patient's buttock implants that were infected. She had it done in another country and got off the airplane and went to the hospital. They needed to be removed.  Think twice about having it done outside the country.

Followup care after medical tourism

+1

Personally, I do not see patients in followup who have had their surgeries performed overseas.  If you are planning to go to Santo Domingo, you should either be prepared to stay if you have a complication or ascertain in advance whether a plastic surgeon in Boston would be willing to see you and at what cost.  Otherwise, you may end up in an emergency room and followup care for cosmetic surgery is not covered by health insurance.

Plastic surgery follow up after medical tourism

+1

It is possibly cheaper to have surgery in another country and follow up here in the US, but medical tourism is not advised as if complications arise the physician who did the surgery (and knows what they did best) is not available. Personally I would charge you for each follow up visit and procedure necessary in the event of problems.  You would possibly end up paying more overall. Hopefully you have no problems and I wish you well.