No Follow-up for Two Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

Hello. I am considering Rhinoplasty and I would like to travel back to my country to do it.

I am wondering if this is a good idea because I won't be able to see my doctor after two weeks in case there are any complications.

My case is mild but still it worries me a little. Should I do it?

Complications from rhinoplasty are very rare.

+2

We let our rhinoplasty patients that come from all over the world go home to their native country 6 days after surgery. In more than 30 years we have never had any problem,but if we did we would have a rhinoplasty surgeon in their home country see them.

Follow-up two weeks after Rhinoplasty

+2

Think carefully.

GOOD NEWS - In today's world, there are qualified plastic surgeons in nearly every country in the world. In many of these countries the cost of practicing medicine is a lot cheaper than in the US where Federal regulations, cost of malpractice insurance etc make running an office an expensive proposition. As a result, you can get procedures done considerably cheaper than in the US.

BAD NEWS - The bodies certifying and regulating plastic surgeons differ tremendously from country to country as do the qualifications of those stating themselves to be plastic surgeons. You may get good surgeons - you may get real clunkers.

All surgeries have complications. If you incur a complication(s) from surgery done elsewhere, you MAY have a hard time finding a surgeon in your city who would gladly like to take on the management of your complication when he/she was not "good enough" to be asked to do the procedure in the first place.

So, when things go well - they go very well and you can save money. When they go poorly - they can go very poorly and you may end up spending more than if you had your surgery in the US.

I hope this was helpful.

Rhinoplasty outside of the U.S.

+1

If you are considering performing a rhinoplasty in another country, chances are the surgeon is not as well experienced as many surgeons in the United States. Rhinoplasty is the most difficult operation to do in view of cosmetic surgery and needs to be done by someone who is well versed and has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries. It sounds as though there will not be any follow up with your surgeon since he/she is in another country. Follow-up with rhinoplasty surgery will be the first week, one month, three months, six months, then a year, and will simply be impossible to do when your doctor is out of the country.

Rhinoplasty Followup

+1

We frequently do rhinoplasties on patients from other countries who return home one week post-operatively. If there were any problems, they would be minor and handled by surgeons in their community.

Not uncommon

+1

Many patients choose to travel for their procedures and not seeing your primary surgeon after two weeks would only turn out to be a signficant issue if you would require a minor revision in the first year after your surgery. Revsions are rare and most of your necessary post op care can be completed in two to three weeks.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon