Follow Up to Breasts Too Far Apart 10 Days After Implants, What Can I Do? (photo)

my previous question was asked a few days ago titled "Breasts too far apart 10 days after implants, What can I do?" Here are a few photos, to get a better idea....

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Breast implant spacing.

+1

At 10 days I would recommend you follow your surgeons advice.You are at the very begining of your healing process.

The amount of space between the breasts is often determined by your anatomy, not just your surgeon. Some patients have a wider sternal space, others narrower. If the implants are under the muscle you do not want to elevate the pectoral muscle in the midline to bring them closer because you can develop synmastia  (one big breast) or breadloafing. Under the muscle the body pushes implant down and out over time this is why women with implant still wear push up bra's.

My eye is most drawn to the left implant which seems higher and smaller. It is best to wait until these have setteled before you make changes. Once the pocket has stretched your surgeon will be able to tell you if a wider implant or tightening of the capsule can achieve your goals.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast width

+1

At ten days, it is a bit early to see the final result. But in general you are limited by your anatomy.    If concerned speak with your surgeon.

Breast too far apart

+1
Based on your preoperative photos, you appear to hold your left shoulder high than your right and subsequently, your left breast is higher than your right. Also, the left breast appears to be a fair amount smaller than the right breast to start with. Postoperatively, your left implant appears to be too small and the volume difference is more noticeable. The left implant and breast still appear to be a little higher. The implants appear to be fairly well centered behind the nipples, but you nipples are wide spread to start with, so the distance between them may still be greater than you would like after the implants. This is a function of your anatomy.
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Fixing breast asymmetry

+1

Your posted photos show show significant breast asymmetry before and after surgery. The left breast is smaller than the right and the left breast crease is higher than the right before and after surgery. This may not be totally correctable especially if the rib cage and spine bones are not symmetric to the midline. Your left shoulder is consistently higher than the right and if this is not just a posture issue the rib cage and/or spine are not in normal alignment. That cannot be camouflaged or corrected by breast implants. It is way too soon after surgery to tell what if anything can be done to improve your results. It may turn out that you currently have more swelling on the right and that in a few months when the swelling resolves the 2 sides will look more symmetric. This may be as good as it gets. On the other hand if the implants are the exact same size you may need the left replaced with a slightly larger implant. The implants are centered under the nipples so repositioning of the implants is not warranted. Besides repositioning them will not create cleavage that did not exist before surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Breast asymmetry after augmentation

+1

You are concerned that your breasts are "too far apart" after your breast augmentation. From your photos, this does not appear to be the case. Your implants are centered under your nipples, which is the correct position. If you feel that there is too much space between your breasts, this is the result of your breasts naturally being separated slightly more than other people. The bigger issue that I see in your photos is the asymmetry of size and the breast fold. Your left breast seems significantly smaller than the right breast. This was true pre-operatively, but I am curious to know if your surgeon placed a larger sized implant on this left side - a larger implant may have helped reduce this size discrepency. Also, you breast folds seem even more different in your post-operative photos which is a little concerning to me. You are very early after surgery and have no choice but to wait things out at this point, but make sure to ask your surgeon about these issues specifically.

Implants too far apart after breast augmentation.

+1

Hi Tanya. Thanks for providing additional information in the form of photographs. It would be helpful to know what size and profile implants your surgeon used, since these facts are important in making recommendations.

Based on your appearance, your left breast looks smaller than the right, and the inframammary crease position is different between sides. Your areolas are small, and your surgeon used periareolar incisions, so I think there is a high likelihood you have saline implants. While this (saline vs. silicone) has nothing to do with symmetry, you should know that identical-size (volume) silicone gel implants will have a slightly wider base diameter, improving the cleavage definition, compared to same-volume saline implants. Of course, changing implants requires another operation, but so does correction of symmetry, position, or increase of implant size to improve your cleavage AND overall result.

For now, you need to wait at least 3 months (longer is always better) and see how things settle, soften, and end up as far as appearance. Then a frank discussion with your surgeon, or other ABPS-certified plastic surgeons for second or third opinions, is in order. For now, unless you no longer trust the advice of your surgeon, you should follow his advice and recommendations. You don't want "non-compliance" as your surgeon's "excuse" for suboptimal results. Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/breast-procedures/breast-augmentation

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Too Are Apart after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the pictures that you have added to your previous question.

At this point, 10 days after surgery, all that you can do is follow your plastic surgeon's  instructions with massage to the midline. You will find that as time goes on the breast implants will likely “settle” improving the results of your procedure.

At about 6 months  post operatively, evaluate the end results of the surgery;  if you feel that the breasts are still “too far apart”,  revisionary surgery may be possible to improve this aspect of your results.  I say this because it appears that on your preoperative photo that you do have natural breast tissue closer to the midline of your sternum.

In the meantime, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  Hopefully you will be pleased with the results of surgery down the line.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.