Suture Continues to Come Out After Breast Implant Revision, However There is no Fluid, What Could be the Reason? (photo)

All doctors mentioned a possible chronic infection, I need to point out that there isn't any drainage with the recurring suture that keeps coming out. Does that change any of the doctors responses? The idea of a third breast surgery in devastating to me. The second time having implants was a lot more painful than the first time, however, that could be because the procedure was slightly different due to a liftas well. Thank you, Barbietree

UPDATE:  Thank you all doctors who answered me. Dr. Pousti asked the color of the sutures; they look black or maybe could be a dark navy blue. Are the internal sutures supposed to be disolvable?

Breast suture coming out after revision

+2

This may be a suture related foreign body reaction as other responders suggest.  If so, don't worry.  See your plastic surgeon.  Removal is a five minute office procedure under local anesthesia.  Even if the suture is non-absorbable and represents the termination of a capsulorrhaphy suture, removal or amputation of the exposed end and secondary wound closure is simple and should solve the problem.

Web reference: http://feelbeautiful.com

Suture problem

+1
Spitting stitches may or may not indicate an underlying problem. Some women are more sensitive to certain suture materials than others. You should return to your plastic surgeon and if this is a suture reaction, treatment can be performed in a simple procedure. Also ask you surgeon to discuss signs of infection so you can know what to look out for.

+1

Sounds like a deep "prolene" suture. They are NOT dissovable. Please see your surgeon to discuss in detail. 

Breast Augmentation and Suture Infections

+1

Hello Barbietree,

Given the length of time and the number of sutures that keep emerging through the surface of your scar, it is irrelevant what kind of sutures they are or whether there is some kind of chronic local infection.  You have a chronic, repetative problem that is not improving with the treatments you have received.

The appearance of that area reveals a widened and pink scar without a break in the skin at this point, and there is no evidence of redness suggestive of a true infectious process.  The best way to deal with any new sutures that emerge, also known as a 'spitting stitch', is to excise the full thickness of scar and skin in that region and reclose the fresh wound.  This will eliminate any more of those sutures and any chronic bacterial process that is colonizing those sutures.  You also get a 'scar revision' as well!

Breast surgery and suture problems

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your description your problems are related to  permanent sutures that were used during your surgery. What color sutures are they?  If  this is the case I think your problems will continue unless  the sutures are removed.  I would be happy to review your operative report to give you more precise advice.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Sutures spitting?

+1

I was one of those concerned about chronic infection and still am.  I don't know anybody who would use permanent sutures where your problem is and you seemed far enough out that dissolvables would be gone.  Maybe get your op notes and see some other local plastic surgeons to check this out.  It is certainly not normal though.