How Many Follow Up Appointments Are There After Rhinoplasty?

How many follow up appointments are there after rhinoplasty and after how long is each appointment?

Follow-up visits after rhinoplasty

+3

Every practice will have their particular follow-up schedule after rhinoplasty. We set up our first appointment at about six days for splint removal, and then at three to four weeks. If all is on schedule, appointments follow at three and six months, then at one year.

peterejohnsonmd.com

In general, there are around 5 follow-up visits the first year after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+3

The first visit after nose job surgery is 7-8 days post-op to remove nasal tape, splint and sutures, and to review the use of makeup. If all looks fine, the next scheduled visits are typically 1 month post-op (for initial post-op photos), then 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year after surgery. Post-op visits are scheduled for 30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Follow Up After Rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty is the most complex, difficult procedure that we do in cosmetic plastic surgery. The follow up is critical as well. I, in general, see my patients within the first week to remove their sutures and splints. Therefore, I see them at 3 and 6 weeks and again at 3, 6, and 12 months and annually after that. I want to see the patient because the shape of the nose and dorsum tip will change significantly over the first 1-1/2 years post-op. I also like to see my patients in follow-up  to see how they are doing and to provide any counseling and reassurance that the wound healing is progressing normally.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Schedule of postoperative visits

+2

I typically see all of my patients the day following surgery for a quick check and to answer any questions they may have.  I see rhinoplasty patients at the one week time point for splint removal and nasal cleaning.  Follow ups are then scheduled according to the individual patient's needs.  I prefer to see rhinoplasty patients at least every three months for the first year following surgery.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Visits after a rhinoplasty

+2

The postoperative visits for a rhinoplasty depend on the individual surgeon and are also influenced by the patient and his/her results and progress. Some patients need or desire more frequent visits; others, the minimal amount. There is no charge for any of the follow-up visits.

A common schedule can be a few days after surgery, one week, two weeks, 1 month, 3-4 months, 6 months and a year - but there is a lot of variability. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Postoperative visits after rhinoplasty

+2

Every surgeon has his or her own schedule, and each patient may be individualized.  I usually see all patients the day after surgery for a check, then at one week for suture and splint removal, then at 1, 3, 6 and 12 months (and yearly after that).  If patients require more visits, I am happy to see them, and if their schedule doesn't permit this exact timeline, we work around it.  Appointments last approx. 15 minutes - 30 minutes, depending on the situation and timeline. 

Michelle Spring, MD

Follow-up visits after rhinoplasty.

+2

In the early postoperative period 3 months after rhinoplasty, I prefer to see patients using the following schedule of postoperative visits based from the time of surgery.  

• 2 weeks - in most cases osteotomies (nasal bone repositioning) have been performed and the nose is still malleable.  If there is any misalignment this can be potentially improved by manipulation (with or without local anesthetic as necessary).  Internal topical nasal steroid treatment may be indicated for breathing obstruction due to peristent swelling of the nasal
  • 4 weeks - Swelling will be 80% decreased.  This is a good time to begin low-dose steroid injections if an area of excessive tissue is suspected.
  • 3 months - Healing will be 90% complete except for the nasal tip where swelling may not be down as much as other areas.  Usually by this time one can determine if any further surgery will be necessary to achieve the original desired result.  However, I prefer to wait 9 to 12 months to allow healing to fully finish before actually proceeding with any revision procdures.  Furthermore any patient concerns can be addressed at this time.

After the early postop period, I request annual visits from the time of surgery. Yearly followup is vital to determine how well the nasal surgery is standing up over time.  Reports have shown that long term changes due primarily to inadequate structural support or cartilage warping can occur years later following rhinoplasty.

Hopefully this has aadded some insight into your questions.

Sincerely,

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC, FACS.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Follow Up Post Rhinoplasty

+1
I typically see my patients after one week to remove the cast and every 4 months afterwards for the first year proceeding rhinoplasty. The followup may be more frequent if I see scar tissue developing to inject kenalog to reduce scar tissue and less frequent if patient is out of state or country in which case emailing pictures may be adequate to monitor progress

Sam Rizk, MD

Appointments after Rhinoplasty

+1

I always see my patients the day after a rhinoplasty and 1 week following surgery for the removal of the cast and  sutures if necessary. Local patients are then seen at 1,6, and 12 months.However, after the 1 week post op visit the schedule will vary because I see many patients from other states and countries. For example, last week I operated on two patients from Norway and one from Guam.

Number of Follow Up Visits after Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Follow up visits are intended to allow your surgeon to supervise your progress and make sure all goes smoothly and if complications do happen that they are handled properly and promptly. Follow up visits are included in your surgeon's fee and should not cost you anything. That being said every surgeon has his own regimen of follow up visits or each operation. As regards nose surgery it usually entails about 6 visits.