How Often Do I Need Follow-up Appointments After my PRK Surgery?

Do I need to be seen once a month? Once a week? When recovery is complete, do I just have regular exams once a year?

PRK Post Op Care

+1

In my practice, we see our PRK patients the next day and than 3 days after that.  If the surface is healed, the bandage contact lens is removed and the next appointment is in 1 week.  If the surface is not healed, the patient will be seen daily until healing is complete.

After this the patient would be seen in 3-4 months and then in 6 months.  Obviously patients will be seen more frequently if they are experiencing any problems.

After the year check, our patients are than seen on a bi-annual basis.

West Orange Ophthalmologist

Follow up after PRK

+1

Every surgeon will have their own protocol for follow up.  In a usual patient, we suggest one day, four or five days, a week, two weeks, a month, then monthly until off of all medications which is usually at three to four months.  The final visits for our patients are every three months then until one year.

Mark Golden, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist

Follow up schedule after PRK surgery

+1

In my practice, the typical follow-up schedule for PRK is as follows: Day 1 (infection and contact lens check), Day 4 or 5 (bandage contact lens is removed), week 2 (vision and eye pressure check), Week 6 (vision and dryness check), Month 3 (vision check), Month 6 (vision check and decision if enhancement needs to be done), 1 year (general check up). And then regular eye exams including dilation each year thereafter.

Christopher Starr, MD
New York Ophthalmologist